Rant about drivebys [Language not appropriate for work]

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Rant about drivebys [Language not appropriate for work]

Post by Reika »

ARGH! What is with you people? You know who you are, the ones who have the frigging auto-join scripts, and instead of saying anything, immediately leave. Then a few minutes later do the same thing.

You know what? If you aren't going to be coming into a channel that often, don't use the goddamn script! And if you're looking for someone and not using the script, learn to use the fucking /whois function!

And if I offended you... Good. Learn some fucking manners.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Thank you reika, I have the same pet peeve, but I have never really said anything about it before.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be', said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

MooCow is a carrier of Mad Cow Disease
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Drivebys used to be a bannable offense in #shadowrun. That was perhaps my only real power trip, but damn it was satisfying. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Let me get this right; people coming into a channel, looking around, and leaving again is a bannable offense? And it ticks people off? And what does this have to do with scripts? I'm confused, perhaps it's because it's monday morning.
<iframe align="left" height="45" frameborder="0" name="deevsig" src="http://www.wiredreflexes.com/sig/wrx/wrx.html" width="100%"></iframe>
Elldren
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Elldren »

Seeing as how I never use IRC, I'm not sure whether or not I have anything to really ad, but I'm sure some of those people might have just entered the wrong channel, or were lurking and you didn't notice, or somesuch. Sure, some of them might be trying to deliberately tick you off, but I doubt it.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

<font size=-2 color=#5c7898><i>For, to seek for a true defence in an untrue weapon, is to angle on the earth for fish, and to hunt in the sea for hares.[/i] -- Robert Silver, <i>Paradoxes of Defence</i>, 1599</font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Dennis wrote:Let me get this right; people coming into a channel, looking around, and leaving again is a bannable offense? And it ticks people off?
It used to be particularly bad back when the channel was still on #undernet, so we'd have a bunch of random IRC weenies pinging in and out of the channel just to be asses. These days, now we're on our own server, life is much quieter. In fact, I think the last op activity in #shadowrun was several months ago, when I asked Adam to K-line someone.
__
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Now, I don't do this, but I can see how it would be so much easier to pop in a channel see who is around, and leave if nobody you want to talk to is around. Now I more or less pay attention to #bulldrek for a couple of hours a day, as I sit behind my computer playing games or fucking about with my web-projects, but I don't recall it happening that often, or it being that annoying.
<iframe align="left" height="45" frameborder="0" name="deevsig" src="http://www.wiredreflexes.com/sig/wrx/wrx.html" width="100%"></iframe>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Now, I don't do this, but I can see how it would be so much easier to pop in a channel see who is around, and leave if nobody you want to talk to is around.
Not that I'm particularly concerned about "drive bys"...

You can get the same effect by using /names (or something like that) to see who is in the channel. Also, you can put people on your notify list if there are only certain people you want to talk to.
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

MooCow wrote:You can get the same effect by using /names (or something like that) to see who is in the channel. Also, you can put people on your notify list if there are only certain people you want to talk to.
Yes, I understand. I've been doing this IRC thing for a while now, and I've sort of got the hang of it. However, why do people use Windows instead of HP-UX? Why do people use BlackICE instead of an OpenBSD firewall? Why do people use Word instead of VI? Why do people insist on spending hours on MSN Game Zone playing Bejeweled in order to get the highest score, when all you have to do is hack their database server and upload your score, like so many have done before?

They lack technical knowledge.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Yep.

Sometimes, I come on IRC to see who's there, and often, when I need to see someone. Sometimes, people are "invisible" to the function that lets you know who's in the channel. Only way to really see them is get in the room itself.

I'm guilty of occassional drivebys, but I didn't do it with autoscript, and I tend to say hi.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

Dennis wrote:
MooCow wrote:You can get the same effect by using /names (or something like that) to see who is in the channel. Also, you can put people on your notify list if there are only certain people you want to talk to.
Yes, I understand. I've been doing this IRC thing for a while now, and I've sort of got the hang of it. However, why do people use Windows instead of HP-UX? Why do people use BlackICE instead of an OpenBSD firewall? Why do people use Word instead of VI? Why do people insist on spending hours on MSN Game Zone playing Bejeweled in order to get the highest score, when all you have to do is hack their database server and upload your score, like so many have done before?

They lack technical knowledge.
Or the time.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

True dat.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I don't think "drivebys" are that annoying unless:

a) the person does it a few times in rapid succession, or
b) the person obviously connects to the channel each time they fire up IRC, and then frequently leaves right away.

But I completely agree that with many users making use of the +i [invisible] mode, /names #Bulldrek is basically useless. This is what I get on an output of /names #Bulldrek at this very moment:

[09:30] #bulldrek names: Instant_Cash Lilith Cash-Not-Cleaning
[09:31] End of #Bulldrek /NAMES list

The actual people in the channel:

[09:31] #bulldrek names: Instant_Cash Lilith Szechuan JesWriting Veed Tamino Cygnata nullWr0k Hopeing-for-Sleep Ang-Reading Toon-Not_Here Mjelvis DeevAFK Cash-Not-Cleaning kawaii
[09:31] End of #Bulldrek /NAMES list
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I think one of the old niggles was that it used to get a little insulting; we'd start to feel like /we/ weren't worth talking to. In any case, with proper use of /notify and /whois you shouldn't have to check a channel to see if someone's around. (Unless you're looking for nick-mad freaks like Marius, anyway. :))

Really, how hard is it to chat for 30 seconds? Bob logs on, and Fred's not there. "Hi guys. Anyone seen Fred around tonight?" "Hi Bob! Yeah, he logged off an hour ago coz he had visitors." "Damn. Oh well. Let him know I was looking for him, yeah? *changes topic to indicate Fred should email Bob when he's back* Anyway, sorry to cut and run, but I've got stuff I've gotta do. See y'all later."

It takes about 30 seconds and might just be more informative than a driveby. :)
__
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Elldren wrote:Seeing as how I never use IRC, I'm not sure whether or not I have anything to really ad, but I'm sure some of those people might have just entered the wrong channel, or were lurking and you didn't notice, or somesuch.
Well, for what it's worth, that's not what I do. I have 6 or so channels that I automatically connect to when I join the server; it's in my Perform section - which is bascially what Reika means when she's talking about scripts. I join the server, and then, unless I'm planning on talking in #bd, I disconnect from it, just like she says.

Why? Because otherwise, the TTS is talking to me the whole time, and if I'm going to be recording, I don't want that. I just need to be on the channels where people can find me if they need to.

But I agree with Reika; every time I join #bd and immediately disconnect, I think of it as being rude, and I've pulled that out of the Perform section. I wish other people would do the same, but it's not exactly a punishable offense; it'd just be nice.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

if I'm one of the people that Reika's talking about, piss on you (if not, help me piss on my laptop will ya?).

for some reason, I can't get IRC to work on either my work compy or my home compy and my home compy is far more updated than my work compy. I don't know what the problem is either. it's a little slow loading, but then finishes without refreshing the dialog box. I'll see two lines of dialog and then nadda. I'll reload, but I just see the same dialog. I'll type in text, but get nadda. so, I have legit reasons for 'drive bys'. I'm trying to get the bloody thing to WORK!

:p
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Adam

Post by Adam »

Err, Gunny, I'd highly suggest downloading a proper IRC client if you're using it from home; webirc is really lousy and it's just there for people who can't use a proper IRC client due to firewall issues. Most people use <a href="http://www.mirc.com">mIRC</a> for windows, which is small and drop-dead simple.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Hell, I'd prefer to see people show up and then drop off if they're not up for talking to folks, the channel full of folks who aren't paying attention frustrate me.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Adam wrote:Err, Gunny, I'd highly suggest downloading a proper IRC client if you're using it from home; webirc is really lousy and it's just there for people who can't use a proper IRC client due to firewall issues. Most people use <a href="http://www.mirc.com">mIRC</a> for windows, which is small and drop-dead simple.
I have mIRC, but as I was telling Daki the other day, it's pointless trying to get the webirc to work because I'm never on bulldrek at all when I'm home. BUT he insisted on trying to get it to work. why? it'll never be used at home. beats me. and it's not like he uses it either. so what IS the point Daki other than getting a whole lot of people pissed off at the 'drive bys'??
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Cazmonster wrote:...the channel full of folks who aren't paying attention frustrate me.
/ignore Cazmonster
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I just wanted to know why the hell it wasn't working. It was me being thick headed and wanting something to work simply by force of will.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

:|

I'm shocked.

and now?
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

remind me again what you did to fix it besides tell me to reboot?
Adam

Post by Adam »

You two desperately both need to get IRC to work so you can converse at work without having a seperate side conversation in nearly every thread.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

never gonna happen Adam, unless you wanna ship a new computer to my work addy.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Adam is teh win! :lol

Screw the drive-bys, I just want the Revolucion to take the GI Joe fans and the idlers out for a swift curb-stomping. Maybe even give the idlers with the infinitely unimportant, and equally long, descriptive nicks a solid boot to the groin.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Gunny wrote:never gonna happen Adam, unless you wanna ship a new computer to my work addy.
That's about as likely to happen as your employers buying a clue and ditching the steaming hunk of shit that masquerades as a web browser on your machine.

Or there's that handy PM feature on Bulldrek . . .
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Adam wrote:That's about as likely to happen as your employers buying a clue and ditching the steaming hunk of shit that masquerades as a web browser on your machine.
word.
Adam wrote:Or there's that handy PM feature on Bulldrek . . .
I don't use it because Daki doesn't reply to it.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Yes, I understand. I've been doing this IRC thing for a while now, and I've sort of got the hang of it
My appologies. I did not intend to imply that you didn't, I was simply making a counter argument to the "well I just wanted to see who was on" argument.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Adam wrote:Or there's that handy PM feature on Bulldrek . . .
Is that kind of like e-mail?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Or AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or Trillian!
Reika

Post by Reika »

Erm, seeing as I'm rarely on when you are Gunny, I wasn't talking about you.

I'm talking about the people who pop in and off on a regular basis. And what really cheesed me off was someone who had popped into the chan earlier looking for someone, did it again later, then came in, said person was on and STILL DID THE FREAKING DRIVEBY!

I didn't want to get anyone banned, I was just letting off steam, and started ranting. Because I can put people on ignore for everything else, just can't do it with the farking drivebys.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

let me guess.

Blitz?
Reika

Post by Reika »

FlameBlade wrote:let me guess.

Blitz?
That was the final straw, yes.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Screw the drive-bys, I just want the Revolucion to take the GI Joe
I recall a retaliatory strike led by the Bulldrek Barbie Fan Club at one point... :)
__
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Salvation122 wrote:Or AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or Trillian!
Pop quiz: Which does not belong here?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Paul eyes Jeffs comments.

The GI Joe fans? :(
Adam

Post by Adam »

Dennis wrote:Pop quiz: Which does not belong here?
Oh come on! This isn't a pop quiz - it's too easy. Trillian, because it's a client, not a service.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

you people are goofy
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Adam wrote:
Dennis wrote:Pop quiz: Which does not belong here?
Oh come on! This isn't a pop quiz - it's too easy. Trillian, because it's a client, not a service.
Adam wins a cookie. :)
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Salvation122 wrote:Or AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or Trillian!
wow. I'd love to use those if only gosh, I had the admin rights to install and use them. that's right, I'm cut off from all of those wonderful things.

as for email Cash, I've pretty much given up on that because Daki turns his email off for a large portion of the day. that and with how unreliable his work email server... I'm far better off gabbing with him here. at least then I know he'll talk to me.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

how about AIM express?

it uses AIM and java applet...

(google it up)
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

no go. I don't have a browser that'll work with it. and no, I can't upgrade it either.

any other ideas? I'm more than willing to try.
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

Can you use telnet?

WinKey+R, telnet<enter>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

err... what's Winkey? *sheepish*
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

It's that windows-key that is the second button on the lower row on the left side of your keyboard. In between CTRL and Alt. :)
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

OH! :aww

DOH! no. I don't have admin rights to use that either. poopoo!!