Downloading TV...

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Downloading TV...

Post by TheScamp »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go to download TV shows. Specifically, I'm looking for the episode of Lost that aired last week, on the 18th.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I recommend tvtorrents.com, even though it does require you to register, it's a very solid website.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

With the closing of tvtorrents.tv and btefnet.com, your best options, in my opinion, are isohunt.com, torrentspy.com, and torrentreactor.net. These are all-rounders, not just TV, which makes it slighly less easy to just browse for the TV ep you wanted, but they all have good search functions, and hundreds of thousands of torrents.

The other option is to find a good tracker that carries most of the TV shows you want to watch and just keep looking there, but I have no idea which trackers Lost gets released to, so...
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Thanks for the info. Any reccomendations on clients? Note that I'll only really be using it for basic downloading of occasional files - nothing real fancy or extreme.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I actually pulled that exact episode off isohunt a few days ago, so I know it's there (and I'm seeding!)

As far as Clients, I use ABC, and it works just fine - I've never seen the need for Azerus's ten zillion options.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I only use Azureus, because I really did used to need those zillion options, so I'd have a hard time recommending anything else for you, but if you're just downloading the occasional file, you could always just use the basic bittorrent client by Bram Cohen.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

bt-tv.net, new site, no tracker but links to other trackers so you don't have to wade thru all the useless crap posts to find what you want. Only posts TV shows. It just started yesterday hench the lack of posts.

Normally I would recommend the piratebay but unfortunalty its becoming clogged down by its open posting policy, anyone can post anything. Which leads to X post of the same item and lots of generall spam postings, but if you know what you want and use the search function you can usually find it.

Client wise I prefer BitTornado or a new small client called Arctic Torrent, if only the two could be combined into one it would be perfect. I don't like the bloat software that is Azureus, to much included crap.
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Ooo, cool. I'll have to check those out...

I'm never home to catch anything on TV, so i've had to download my TV lately. The TV Torrent sites going down really, really sucked.

I'm currently trying to download weekly American Dad, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, The Shield, Lost, and Justice League Unlimited (As it airs in Canada).

I've also been using a file sharing program called Bearshare, to some degree of success. That seems to be my only semi-reliable source for JLU, at least.

Bull
Bull's Place at Dumpshock!

"Order is Illusion! Chaos is Bliss! Got any Fours?"
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

JLU is usually available via the pirate bay. Atleast I have seen it there, I don't download or follow it so I wouldn't know for sure.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Oh wow. Now that I have a pimp-comp, I just realized I can download shit. Nice. :)
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Welcome to the Dark Side, Teja. Your office is over here and I think you'll like the view.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

The Dark Side? I prefer to think of us as the Rebel Alliance against the evil empire that is the MPAA, RIAA etc etc etc
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

lorg wrote:The Dark Side? I prefer to think of us as the Rebel Alliance against the evil empire that is the MPAA, RIAA etc etc etc
But who cares about the pansy ass rebels? They are all into incest and they're wussies. The Empire had the cool stuff. Blowing up planets and Advanced TIEs, and AT-ATs. Screw the rebels.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Just Pete
Tasty Human

Post by Just Pete »

Just wondering - what exactly is the legality of downloading already-aired tv shows? Can anyone direct me to a reputable site that explains it?
_<font color=#5c7898>Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.</font>

<font color=red>It's funny how lately it seems, that I'm left alone with just my dreams,
and even though my dreams are few; it's funny how they're all of you!
- The Love of My Life</font>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Reputable? It probably depends on whom you listen to. The MPAA sued over TV downloads I guess you can figure out their position. The case has yet to be settled. Personally thou I doubt it would matter much to the downloaders even if they came to the illegal conclusion. The culture consumption pattern has changed yet the big media companies are now trying to regain control by suing everything that moves. Considering they did the same things with the VHS, tape recorders etc etc one wonders when they will learn.
ratlaw
Tasty Human

Post by ratlaw »

lorg wrote:Reputable? It probably depends on whom you listen to. The MPAA sued over TV downloads I guess you can figure out their position. The case has yet to be settled. Personally thou I doubt it would matter much to the downloaders even if they came to the illegal conclusion. The culture consumption pattern has changed yet the big media companies are now trying to regain control by suing everything that moves. Considering they did the same things with the VHS, tape recorders etc etc one wonders when they will learn.
When the get the government to impose a tax on computers simply to pay off the big media companies, is my guess. That or they make everything pay-per-play.
--
Ratlaw

By request all posts end in "Bla-DAMN!"
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

ratlaw wrote:When the get the government to impose a tax on computers simply to pay off the big media companies, is my guess. That or they make everything pay-per-play.
We are not there quite yet but over here we have an extra tax on recordable audio cassettes, vhs tapes, cdr and all forms of writable dvd discs. All to compensate for the loss to piracy, it is so fucked I lack words to describe it. Not to mention that in about two weeks time the tax is going up. A single DVDR is going to be almost $3 more expensive come July 1st. Plus they are now also going to tax MP3 players etc. These money goes straight into the pockets of such organisations as STIM (a national organisation for music composers). So even if I want to make backups of my sourcecodes or pictures I took with my digital camera I still have to pay piracy protection money to those bloodsuckers. Anyone telling me that ain't fucked? I'll pay them money when hell freezes over, if I need discs I'll be importing them from Germany.

So harddrives and computers are just a beat away as far as I am concerned.