Courage and Pacifism

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Courage and Pacifism

Post by Toryu »

From the Irish Examiner archives
Investigations into airport security breach

By Michael O’Farrell
AER RIANTA and the gardaí have launched investigations into how an anti-war protester breached security at Shannon airport and vandalised a US Air Force jet without being detected.

Two anti-war protestors, Eoin Dubsky, 22, and Tim Hourigan, 27, were arrested in the early hours of yesterday morning after Mr Dubsky scaled the airport perimeter fence and sprayed a peace sign and an anti-war message on the side of a US military plane. The C1-30 Hercules transport plane was parked in Shannon as the crew rested overnight.

Mr Dubsky, who called the airport switchboard to inform airport police that he was at the US military jet waiting to be arrested, appeared before Gort Circuit Court last night and was charged with damaging property under the Criminal Damage Act 1991.

Insp Tom Kennedy made an application that Mr Dubsky be remanded in custody because he feared that Mr Dubsky will "re-offend in the same fashion and manner if released".

He told the court that after Mr Dubsky spray painted the plane, he alerted airport authorities of his actions. Mr Dubsky was subsequently arrested by Shannon Gardai at 5.15am.

Insp Kennedy said that Mr Dubsky's presence in the airfield would pose enormous danger to other aircraft.

Judge Mangan remanded him on bail of 200 to re-appear before Shannon District Court on the October 17 and ordered him not go within five miles of the 5.6 mile perimeter fence that protectsShannon airport.

Mr Hourigan, a Green Party member who stood for election in Limerick East, was released without charge yesterday afternoon, although a file has been sent to the DPP. Aer Rianta spokesman John Reidy said they were satisfied with security measures at the airport.

“Our security is examined by the Federal Aviation Authority regulators and it has always been found to be adequate,” Mr Reidy said.

A spokeswoman for the US Embassy in Dublin said: “This is a matter of airport security and I guess that everybody in Ireland should be concerned that people can get onto a runway, but at the moment, it’s an ongoing legal case and I can’t comment any further.” The US Government always complied with every Irish Government condition for use of Shannon airport, she said.

Both Mr Dubsky and Mr Hourigan are involved in ongoing protests against US military aircraft using Shannon as a refuelling depot.

All military flights landing or going through Irish military airspace must be reported to the Department of Foreign Affairs and by law no armed aircraft is permitted to land.

Department figures show 1,801 military flights passed over Ireland and 489 landings took place from September last year to June of this year.

Salutations and my heartfelt respect to Eoin Dubsky, the little bro of a very good friend of mine, and Tim Hourigan, for this very bold and noble way of protesting against this breach of Ireland's neutrality, a principle that stood since the founding of the Republic of Ireland. While I do not entirely share their view, this should serve as a prime example how protest against perceived wrongs should be expressed, in my opinion.

Chances are, Eoin will spend Christmas in jail for his actions. But he knew that beforehand, of course. Which makes it all the more impressive.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Sowhat
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sowhat »

I didn't think people went to jail for graffiti.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Spraying a wall, probably not. Military heavy lift C-130's though are a slightly different matter. That plus the fact of embarrassing a lot of semi-important people tends to up the stakes as well. Mind you, being given only a 200 (Punt?) bail might reflect that the courts aren't too afraid that it will destabilise the country just yet. That said, a nice little non-violent protest, thumbs up from over here. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Just a small point, a C-130 is neither heavy lift nor a jet. Please return to your 'drekking.
-call me Andy, dammit
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Chances are, Eoin will spend Christmas in jail for his actions. But he knew that beforehand, of course. Which makes it all the more impressive.
Absolutely! I don't agree with him, but that is the true spirit of Civil Disobediance/Protest. Kudos to him.

When I was at Ohio State, we had some folks try blocking the road to protest some stupid thing. When the cops arrested them, they got upset, and tried to sue the university. They claimed their right to free speech was being oppressed. Thankfuly the judge threw it out.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Re: Courage and Pacifism

Post by MissTeja »

Insp Kennedy said that Mr Dubsky's presence in the airfield would pose enormous danger to other aircraft.
I didn't know a spraypaint can was such a dangerous weapon.
Toryu wrote: While I do not entirely share their view, this should serve as a prime example how protest against perceived wrongs should be expressed, in my opinion.
I agree with you as well, Toryu. They give us free speech, then do not listen to us when we talk. Sometimes, sadly of course, people have to take drastic measures to simply be heard. You friend did this in a entirely respectable way. Sure, he defaced some property - but it is merely something that can easily be removed or painted over. He did not hurt any person or persons, and did not permanently damage anything. He willingly gave up his rights and his holiday season to make a meager attempt at letting people around the world, in the US, Ireland, and other places - hear the voices of those who he was standing for. I, too, don't entirely agree with his views, but I tip my hat to the man for having the balls to stand up, in a reasonable manner, for his beliefs.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

paladin2019 wrote:Just a small point, a C-130 is neither heavy lift nor a jet. Please return to your 'drekking.
Ack! I'm getting it confused with the other one, what's-its-name. And you sure it's not heavy lift? Ah well.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

MissTeja wrote:
It's not the spraypaint. It's the fact they got in. They've exposed a security gap. Which is actually a good thing, because the publicity means it should get fixed.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

FlakJacket wrote:Ack! I'm getting it confused with the other one, what's-its-name. And you sure it's not heavy lift? Ah well.
C-5 Galaxy? C-141B Starlifter?
_
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Spiral wrote:
MissTeja wrote:
It's not the spraypaint. It's the fact they got in. They've exposed a security gap. Which is actually a good thing, because the publicity means it should get fixed.
I realize that, as they stated it in the article. They just stated it funny in that sentence. Seeming that he didn't potentially destroy any aircraft or other items, it came off rather humorous to myself that the Inspector would refer to Mr. Dubsky specifically, and not just his 'presence', as an "enormous danger". I agree that airport security is definately needing stronger measures to be taken all around the world, and in this case, Ireland. He should have never been able to have gotten in there. His presence itself is damned scary, but him and a spraypaint can? Well, I just wouldn't call it "enormous danger". Just my interpretation of the text, though.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Well another thing with all the new radar apsorbent paint, wouldn't spray painting a plane that could possibly deploy increase its risk? A stretch I know, but I'd hate to be the one Jack ass who got shot down cause some dip shit painted a red fuck you sign on my bird.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

FlakJacket wrote:
paladin2019 wrote:Just a small point, a C-130 is neither heavy lift nor a jet. Please return to your 'drekking.
Ack! I'm getting it confused with the other one, what's-its-name. And you sure it's not heavy lift? Ah well.
The Hercules (or C-130) is the smallest of the USAF's cargo plane fleet and is a turbo-prop aircraft. It's not heavy-lift in part because it can't transport any current US tanks. It's cargo is limited to wheeled vehicles, trrops and cargo pallets.
-call me Andy, dammit
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Serious Paul wrote: I'd hate to be the one Jack ass who got shot down cause some dip shit painted a red fuck you sign on my bird.
But a peace sign? Would that cause something that drastic?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I have no clue. I was just going worst case scenario.

Another thing is when these dinks did this, did they think for a second that some one has to repaint this bird? That costs money, and time.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Serious Paul wrote:I have no clue. I was just going worst case scenario.

Another thing is when these dinks did this, did they think for a second that some one has to repaint this bird? That costs money, and time.
Why yes, I'm sure they did.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Seems to me like the guys had it pretty well planned out, actually. I mean, he actually called the airport and alerted officials while waiting for their arrival. Just pretty impressive in my opinion.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

I realize that, as they stated it in the article. They just stated it funny in that sentence. Seeming that he didn't potentially destroy any aircraft or other items, it came off rather humorous to myself that the Inspector would refer to Mr. Dubsky specifically, and not just his 'presence', as an "enormous danger".
Unauthorized personnel on the tarmac is usually dangerous. Who's to say what could go wrong. Maybe he distracts some tarmac crew who don't notice a fire catching on a fuel truck. Maybe his presence causes a lockdown that prevents Joe Publicshire's transplant heart from making it on time. Maybe a plane comes in low with mechanical difficulties, and response crews rushing to the scene don't notice the idiot where he's not supposed to be and bash him with a foam truck's fender. Maybe not. Still, not quite the place for shennanigans, is it?
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Serious Paul wrote:Well another thing with all the new radar apsorbent paint, wouldn't spray painting a plane that could possibly deploy increase its risk? A stretch I know, but I'd hate to be the one Jack ass who got shot down cause some dip shit painted a red fuck you sign on my bird.
AFAIK, the Herks don't have any radar absorband paint. They're transport planes with a good sized radar cross-section.

Even spraying a giant red fuck you on one of the stealth bombers (assuming that the protester got through security) shouldn't have a real noticable effect on the stealth profile.
Last edited by Cash on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Just Pete
Tasty Human

Post by Just Pete »

Another issue with the guy being dangerous on the airstrip is the paintcan itself. How many spray-paint vandals actually take the can with them when they leave? That can could be sucked into an engine, causing all sorts of havoc. And on take-off....

However, we know this didn't happen because he called and turned himself in. Kudos to him.
_<font color=#5c7898>Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.</font>

<font color=red>It's funny how lately it seems, that I'm left alone with just my dreams,
and even though my dreams are few; it's funny how they're all of you!
- The Love of My Life</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Sounds like the ideal way to protest. Sneak in, pull the hack, and make darn sure to bring attention to you just after you've done it. Also a great way to make sure you don't get 'disappeared'.

Kudos again, and Rock On!
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

One would also think that if they don't check a plane well enough to notice a bloody great big spraypainted logo on it before take-off, they deserve what they get...
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.