If you could go anywhere...

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

If you could go anywhere...

Post by DV8 »

...where would you go? Would you go somewhere you know really well, or would you go somewhere you've never been before?
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Assuming basic requirements for survival? Somewhere I've never been before.

Specifically, the Moon.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Damn. That is a really hard choice.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

I thought a strong-opinioned bunch as yourselves would find it a lot easier than this.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Jestyr brought up a good place. I was restricting myself to the planet. But I would very much love to go to the moon.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

That's a good one, let's restrict it to this planet.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ahhh, shoot. I can't decide then. I liked the moon as a choice!
</font>
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

All these potentially wonderful places right down here on earth, and you are already looking to outer space? :)
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Hell yes. I remember standing out in my back garden at night, staring up at the stars. Almost /hurting/ because I wanted to be out there, so bad. Hoping there was something out there worth seeing, and hoping beyond hope that maybe one day I'd get the chance to see it.
__
Lektrogirl
Bulldrekker

Post by Lektrogirl »

If I didn't have to worry whether or not it was safe, I would go to Israel. I would love to visit all of the ancient buildings, walls, and places.

BUT, if safety is a concern... hmm... Scotland.

Being on the Moon would freak me out, it's too isolated.
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

Lektro :: Depending on where you want to go and when, it should be more than possible to go to Isreal.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, I would like to go see Centralia.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

On Earth? Places I'd never seen before, for sure. Why waste an opportunity like that on familiar turf?
__
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

3278 wrote: Well, I would like to go see Centralia.
Urban Exploration all the way, baby! You should have Eva take you to the harbors in Hamburg at night, man. You'd love it.
Lektrogirl
Bulldrekker

Post by Lektrogirl »

If I ever did go to Israel I would want to go down the back alley ways, into the small villages, into the Gaza strip, Jerusalem, everywhere, and anywhere. I doubt it would be safe to go anywhere I wanted to, not when people are indiscriminantly shooting or bombing.

I have a friend who was in Israel for six weeks two years ago, he told me horror stories, sooo, I think I will only dream about visiting there. Maybe one day, when I am old and gray I shall walk the street of Israel.
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

That's interesting, my aunt regularly visits Israel, and she says that all the horror stories are overrated. When you go there in a time of [relative] peace, things should be a-okay.
Lektrogirl
Bulldrekker

Post by Lektrogirl »

Well my friend went before al of this stuff happening lately. Who can predict when a [relative] time of peace is going to occur? Not to mention I don't want to go when the peace is only [relative] I want to go when there is NO danger at all, I heard enough gun shots and crap like that in my life, when I go somewhere I'd prefer to never have to worry at all about idiots with their guns, tanks, or bombs.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

First choice would be an orbital holiday with a stay on a space station like Denis Tito had with the Russians. You get to see the stars as well as the earth from way above. And it really cuts down on the travel time. :)

Failing that, if it's not allowed- although it technically is almost Earth- I'd probably have to say Southern Wisconsin and this years Gathering.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
&#8734;
Tasty Human

Post by &#8734; »

Good answer Flak. Make sure I prepare one of my LIIT's for you as a reward. :)
Pistons
Bulldrekker

Post by Pistons »

I've been to Israel; it was for a week, several years ago, and I loved the time spent there except perhaps sitting in the Ben Gurion airport for 24 hours. :cute

I spent most of the time in Haifa, which to me was lovely. I also spent a little time in Tel Aviv (it is /gorgeous/ at night when there's a full moon shining on the Med), went to the gardens at Baji (sp?) and passed through Akka. We would have gone to Jerusalem, but my mother's plane was delayed for a day (see the comment above about the airport) so that had to be canceled. Ah well.

Should things over there die down (and I really hope it does), if you get the opportunity, go. It's lovely, the people that I encountered were very nice as well as attractive, and I wished the whole time that I knew any Hebrew. I still have some shekels left. The exchange rate is nice. :)

Where I would absolutely love to go? On a tour of England and Ireland. A close runner-up is Australia. I want to see Uluru. :)
_<font size=1>`Ay,' he said. `folks should do their own fuckin', then they wouldn't want to listen to a lot of clatfart about another man's.'
- Oliver Mellors, <i>Lady Chatterley's Lover</i> </font>
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

I'd love to go to China. The architecture, the art, everything there just seems so beautiful to me. I also love the idea of a place where "recent" can mean, "Oh, in the last 200 years or so." It's so completely opposite of what I've grown up with.

I'd love to hike the mountains, see the Great Wall... the works.

Hell, really, if I could travel anywhere, I'd love to see the world.

I'd love to see more of the U.S., Canada, Mexico. I'd love to go to Costa Rica and see if I could look up my old friend Nubia. I'd love to go to Brazil, see Rio de Janeiro (crap, that doesn't look like I spelled it right).

I've love to go visit Europe - England, Scotland (lots of Scotland), France (museums and food only), Italy (oh, I'd spend a month in Italy at least, sample all the regional cuisines, wander the lovely towns, try to look up my grandfather's family), Spain (try to look up my friend Luli, gorge myself on tapas, and wander some more lovely towns), Sweden (try to look up Caviar - that was her camp name, and I can't remember how to spell her given name)... Poland, Germany... crud, I'm starting to blank out on countries... Austria, Russia, all the new countries that sprang up when the USSR dissolved... of course Denmark and Holland (another month-long stay while I let my dear friends run me ragged).

Then to the Middle East (it's an area I'm not all that familiar with, honestly, but I still wanna see it) and into Africa. I want to see the Kinshasa Highway and have a good long cry over all the people who've died of AIDS there. I want to go on a safari and see gazelles and lions and water buffalo and black panthers... and no big giant scary bugs. ;)

And then back to the Middle East and from there to the Far East. India, Polynesia, Thailand (particularly Bangkok), Korea (the doctors I used to work with were all Korean), Mongolia (tchooo!), China (the Great Wall, the pagodas, the mountains, Beijing), Japan...

Yeah, so, pretty much everywhere. The moon wouldn't be bad, but I think I'd prefer Mars.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Yeah, so, pretty much everywhere
Except Australia, I note. :)
__
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Going on the Wonder Wheel on Coney Island. Standing on the Great Wall overlooking the plain of Tsan-Pa. Rafting the wild rivers of the Amazon. Standing underneath the waterfalls in northern Thailand. Walking the jungles of Borneo. Surfing the cold surfs of South Africa. Eating at a bistro in Bologna. Standing on Ayers Rock in Australia. Skydiving above the coast of California. Running through the great forests of Canada. Seeing the warzone in Beirut. Cheering at a K1 match in the Tokyo Dome. Skiing down the slopes of the Alps. Walking on the Red Square outside the Kremlin. Treading the halls of the Forbidden Palace. Exploring the jungles of India. Lazing in the sun on the Fiji islands. Dancing in the nightclubs of Kyoto. Shopping down in Kowloon. Bicycling along the Black Sea. Enjoying the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. Providing aid to children in Colombia. Watching the apes in the jungles of Sudan. Feel the vibrant nature of Madagascar. Trek across the plains of Antarctica. Walk the grassy fields of New Zealand. Marvel at the geisers of Iceland. Cheering on the huski's on Greenland. Checking out the Icepalace in Norway. Drinking a cocktail on Bora Bora. Seeing the dragonboat races in Hong Kong. Trekking along Nepal's Annapurna trail.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

&#8734; wrote: All these potentially wonderful places right down here on earth, and you are already looking to outer space? :)
Hell yeah. Ever see the tape of the Apollo 15 mission. I remember sitting there in Astronomy class just drooling. I so want to go.

There are so many places that I want to go and want to go back to that I couldn't list them all.
</font>
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Except Australia, I note.
Crap! I knew I'd forgotten something!

I definitely want to go to Australia. I want to have a picture of myself in front of that opera house (is that in Perth or Sydney? I wanna say Sydney, but I forget) and visit Jes and play Spot-the-Goth with Crazy Elf. Oh, and try to look up Pia "Daggy" Hunter. And I want to see New Zealand. I'd love to get a tour of the WETA workshops and all that loveliness. And I want to visit that island where the crabs all migrate at once (Christmas Island?). Just for a day or so - anything more than that would probably give me some serious whim-whams, but still. I wanna see it.

Oh, and I forget - I specifically want to visit Prince Edward Island when I traipse through Canada. I loved L.M. Montgomery's books when I was a kid, gotta visit all the sites.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Personally i just want to move anywhere that isn't southern california.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Where to go...

Post by Reika »

I'd *love* to go around the world, but namely take a tour of the haunted castles of England, Scotland and Ireland. Take a road trip through the 48 continental states to visit different folks. Go to Australia to visit people there. Maybe learn to snorkle a bit so I can check out some of the reefs around Florida and the Carribean.

There's so many cool places on the Earth I'd love to check out, I don't think I'd ever have enough time to go to outer space (though I admit it'd be kinda cool to go to a space station.....)
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Ireland, Scotland, and Germany. not many places in particular once I'm there, but I would want to go paintballing in all three places
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Do places in time count?
The Mighty Buddha
Tasty Human

Post by The Mighty Buddha »

Amsterdam =)
An eye for an eye, and we all go blind.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

You're always welcome, B.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Personally there really arent many places I wouldn't go. I love going to new places and seeing new things (obviously). However there are also things about some of the places I have been that I would love to see again. Except maybe omaha, that place sucks. In fact, just avoid all of Central United states, not a pretty site.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

If i could go anywhere, it'd be Afghanistan, so I can kill some friggin rag heads, and get some revenge 4 the 11th.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

*sigh*
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

PMW: You know how I said I had respect for you because you wanted to become a fire fighter; that has so been drowned out by your retarded statement right there.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

It's nice to know that intolerance and racism have been stamped out in 2002. Chee-rist.
</font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

If i could go anywhere, it'd be Afghanistan, so I can kill some friggin rag heads, and get some revenge 4 the 11th.
I rather get the impression that most of the 'friggin rag heads' responsible are sorta dead already. Which means you'd just be perpetrating terror and pain on innocent civilians. Hmm.
__
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

But as long as they have a rag on their head and don't look like blond hair, blue eyed Americans, then it's ok to kill them. [/s]
</font>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Islam is evil, after all.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

If they don't like baseball, hot dogs, and mom's apple pie, then all are enemies and should be killed. Excuse me while I be sick.
</font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

In other words, "if you are not with Us, you are against Us"?
__
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

That's a beautiful sentiment PM.... Let's go!

*MooCow hands PM a white cloak and hood*

And when we get back, lets go lynch us some uppity niggers.....

MooCow
The sarcastic cow
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Moo:: :crack
</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

oh yeah... in answer to the originial question....

Ireland/British Ilses. Specifically Trinity College, and Stone Henge. Trinity is where Bram Stoker graduated from, and of course Stone Henge is just cool. Such an amazing work of art/architecture/etc. Too bad Woodhenge and Strawhenge didn't survive (damn wolves....)

I'd like some time to research the ancient myths of the British Ilses. One of my favorite book series is "The Dark is Rising", which makes heavy use of traditional myths and stories.

MooCow
The mythological cow
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

:crack Intellectually I understand that there are people like this around. It still boggles me when I come up against it, though.
__
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

You know what I think is odd; that there are so many takers for the British Isles. I think it might be that whole escapist, roleplaying, swords and magic, castles sort of crowd that hangs out here. :)
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Note that people who live anywhere near by the British Isles didn't want to go there..
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

I'm quite sure you guys won't all have the same love for these people after they've killed your cousin, and the 6 guys you look up to most in the world. Not to mention all of those 7 guys brothers. Because I'm quite sure that not of you have had everyone and everything you look up to taken away in the span of 24 hours. We'll see how much love you have for the bastards after that happens to you. So I couldn't care less if you hate me for saying that, because thats the way it is.
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

I'd like to travel. Anywhere, on an unexpirable plane ticket. I'd love it.
The Mighty Buddha
Tasty Human

Post by The Mighty Buddha »

PMWrestler wrote: If i could go anywhere, it'd be Afghanistan, so I can kill some friggin rag heads, and get some revenge 4 the 11th.
An eye for an eye, and we all go blind.