Things that make you go Hmmmm...

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Post by Lilith »

I'm sitting here, watching James Cameron's Expedition: Bismark and this is fascinating. Flat out fascinating.

Which made me wonder:

Have you ever watched anything on television that you thought was fascinating/interesting/can't stop watching?
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

The History of Sandwiches.

No shit. It was really interesting.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

I'd heard he was a gambler in a marathon poker game and he had servants put some meat and cheese on a couple of slices of bread..
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

When I was in the wheelchair, late one night channel-surfing, Animal Planet had on a special, World's most Extreme. Shit like most extreme survivors, hunters, yada yada yada. Some pretty cool shit. Some animals I'd never even heard about.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

No, no. More than that. The whole history of sandwiches. From that moment of invention to modern day. What sandwiches have been popular through history and why. How peanut butter and jelly came together. Sandwiches in other lands. Etc.

It was really cool.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Can't...avert...eyes....

Post by Brineshrimp »

Hmm, I'd have to say The Iron Chef or, God, I know I'm gonna hate admitting this, Trading Spaces.
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

I think I've seen Trading Spaces.

My sister watches it a lot... It looked pretty interesting...

beth: oh.... That does sound cool. I've seen shows like that about ice cream, beer, pop... All sorts of things... Yeah, they ARE fascinating. :)
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

24. The writers of that show have me hooked. If you miss an episode, you're completely lost, so I just never ever miss an episode. It's one of those few television shows that can keep you on the edge of your seat.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

A lot of stuff on the History channel and TLC. One in particular that has always stood out was a show on a polish salt mine...Really wild.
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

*nods at Paul*

Don't forget Discovery....... But the Hilter channel sometimes is better when they don't show stuff about WWII
Cash
Needs Friends

Re: Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Post by Cash »

Lilith wrote:Have you ever watched anything on television that you thought was fascinating/interesting/can't stop watching?
All the ferking time. AP, TLC, THC, and Discovery...

The worst was this black and white movie about some kid in the Lousiana swamp. He found a Bisenji dog and had to give it up. No real plot, no action, no nookie. But I couldn't turn the damn thing off. I had to know how it ended.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

DIY and Warehouse warriors got me hooked, as well as the British version of Junkyard Wars

Jesse Jame's Monster Garage...

Some of the Food Networks History of shows...there are a few others that I just can't remember off the top of my head since it has been so long since I had TV to actually watch...
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Raumspringa - A documentary on Amish youth, and the trouble of making the decision of joining the Amish church. It was only a few days ago, and it was facinating. It got me a completely different view on Amish, though.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Argh. I missed the Bismark show as well.

*chalks up another show missed because he forgot to set the VCR*

Mmm...30 second memory strikes again. :)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Bismark was a great special that I enjoyed. They even put to rest the argument that the crew of the Bismark sank the ship.

Other shows: Mail Call, Monster Garage, really anything on Discovery, A&E or the History Channel.
Elldren
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Elldren »

New History Channel series to watch: Conquest
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

<font size=-2 color=#5c7898><i>For, to seek for a true defence in an untrue weapon, is to angle on the earth for fish, and to hunt in the sea for hares.[/i] -- Robert Silver, <i>Paradoxes of Defence</i>, 1599</font>
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I'm not really sure what's worse, that you guys watch that much TV, or that my one must watch show is WWE Raw.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

lordhellion wrote:I'm not really sure what's worse, that you guys watch that much TV, or that my one must watch show is WWE Raw.
Jesus fucking christ. Have some goddamned taste and watch Smackdown. RAW is a steamed over pile of shit; even /I/ don't watch it anymore.
R.A.G.
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by R.A.G. »

Adam wrote:
lordhellion wrote:I'm not really sure what's worse, that you guys watch that much TV, or that my one must watch show is WWE Raw.
Jesus fucking christ. Have some goddamned taste and watch Smackdown. RAW is a steamed over pile of shit; even /I/ don't watch it anymore.
Funny, since I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine last night while watching said pile of shit. (C'mon... all the heels won via some form of cheating? Even the one face [Jeff Hardy] won via a "Ref's mistake")

We were trying to figure out what WWE Live show to go to. The choices are either the RAW house show in AC or the Smackdown Taping up at the Meadowlands. The whole time I'm just looking at him with that "Like there's a fucking choice?"
_
The Storm has a name...
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

*Shudder* RAW is Shit. That's all I'll say about it. Smackdown is some good quality wrestling with a good writer. Too bad I switch off when CSI comes on.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

*steps in a puddle of mush* ick... was that your brain I just stepped in lordhellion? it smells like it's been dead for months! as for the tv watching... after working 9hrs, spend an hour napping after force feeding my sick cat her meds (waiting for Daki to get home), then spend another hour eating/conversing with Daki... I finally can turn on the tv around 7:30-8:00, watch some shows or a movie until 10:00 and then crash out. I can't speak for others, but my TV time is very limited and my desire to watch other shows becomes limited when football (college or pro) is on. the Bears suck! rah! rah! the Bears suck!
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Adam wrote:Jesus fucking christ. Have some goddamned taste and watch Smackdown. RAW is a steamed over pile of shit; even /I/ don't watch it anymore.
Our local UPN channel was bought out by FOX, and FOX axed SmackDown out of the lineup, so it's either RAW or nothing.

And, honestly, Gunny, the reason I watch so little TV is because I work some 70 hours a week, so between work, sleep, and eating, I don't get as much quality time with my TV as I want (believe me, I'm a tube-a-holic when I have the time).

The "you guys watch a lot of TV" crack was just a rehtoric device to show how pathetic my devotion to RAW is.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

The CNN weather report. I can watch those cities scrolling by for hours.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Szechuan wrote:The Antiques Roadshow

I love it! :D
Huh? Is there a Canuck/American version of that?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

FlakJacket wrote:Huh? Is there a Canuck/American version of that?
I don't know, but the British version one airs in Canada.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

I generally don't watch TV. I'd way rather be playing some sort of game (I'm just now re-doing Zelda 64, and it is engrossing, and I've completely forgotten the Water Temple). With that having been said: whenever I catch it, I cannot stop watching the Osbournes. Ozzy shakes, Sharon screams, Kelly swears, Jack eats, hijinks ensue. It's a car crash on I-94 during rush hour. I am glued to that set.
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
R.A.G.
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by R.A.G. »

FlakJacket wrote:
Szechuan wrote:The Antiques Roadshow

I love it! :D
Huh? Is there a Canuck/American version of that?
Ayup. Even hada couple controversies on it with collusion between appraisers and "clients" to inflate the worth of garbage that the appraisers have in their own collections. But sometimes the BBC version shows (Complete with Pounds -> US$ conversions)
_
The Storm has a name...