Shower curtain

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Shower curtain

Post by Eva »

So we a while ago, we had this lovely 3-page conversation about exactly why the shower curtain does that thing while you're showering. One teensy detail that got left out is how to make it not.

IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.

HELP ME.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
ratlaw
Tasty Human

Post by ratlaw »

"that thing while you're showering" is kind of vague...could you be a bit more specific for those of us who weren't involved in the initial conversation ;)
--
Ratlaw

By request all posts end in "Bla-DAMN!"
Eva

Post by Eva »

The shower curtain floats up and sticks to your legs. It's a hot air thing, I believe. [I was there for the initial conversation but didn't really pay attention..]
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

If I remember correctly, it's caused by a difference in the temperature on either side of the curtain; try running the shower a little cooler, maybe.
ratlaw
Tasty Human

Post by ratlaw »

Or you can use another neat shower trick and use capilary action to stick the shower to the inside of the tub. Just make sure either the tub wall, the shower curtain or both are wet, and viola they stick together. Requires that you hang the shower on the inside of the tub and requires a shower/bathtub arrangement. If you're talking about a shower curtain on an open shower then I suggest finding someway to attach weights to the bottom edge. Any fishing store should sell some nice, small weights that won't look too weird and you can probably get by with fishing line and holes poked through the bottom edge.
--
Ratlaw

By request all posts end in "Bla-DAMN!"
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

No, it had nothing to do with water/air temperature and everything to do with... something else. Regardless, the solution is actually to not close the shower curtain <i>quite</i> all the way - leave a 1-2 inch gap at one end. Problem solved. That's what I always do and I never have that problem. :D
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

I hate it when the shower curtain acts funky like that. I know what used to cause the problem with me. Well, there were two things. First the shower curtain I got was too long, so it was partly staying soaked all the time. Much mildew and nastiness resulted. A pair of scissors fixed that problem. However, it was still sticking to me in the shower. I decided it was being caused by the vent. My AC vent is blows at the curtain when own, thus blowing it into me. The capillary action Ratlaw spoke of works, but only when the air conditioner is off.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Well, I've tried all the proposed solutions already and none of them work.

* gap at either end: my bath is longer than my shower curtain so that happens automatically. Don't work.

* stick it to the side of the bath: for some - probably unhygienic - reason that happens all by itself, too. Don't work.

* running the shower colder: :oB

Maybe I'll have to settle for a colder shower then..
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Is the curtain pole drilled or bolted into the walls? If not, you could try lowering the pole so that the shower curtain actually touches the ground. That's what I did, and it usually works. (This probably does nothing to keep away mildew and such, but seeing as how I can just pick up a new shower curtain from the hall..)

Or you could pick up a heavier curtain, altogether. Like the one Dennis and Sam have.
\m/
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

We have two curtains, and they both love me on far too regular basis. So no joy there. :o|
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Oh. Well, I never had any problems with them. Of course, before the water pressure suddenly increased, there was hardly any way for the curtains to get wet. :|
\m/
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

:D
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Have you tried a "cloth" style shower curtain. The plastic ones always have that problem but I noticed that the "cloth" style don't. I say "cloth" style because one I had was a woven nylon and the one I have now is a woven combination goes to read the washing instructions tag for content 75% nylon 25% rayon go figure. Both curtains were purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

"Cloth" shower curtain = teh mank. :|
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Do you have a metal bathtub? They make shower curtains with small magnets in the bottom so it will stay pressed against the side of the tub.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Huh, always thought it was a temp differentiation. If I close the bathroom doors most of the way it doesn't happen, thought it was because the room temp evened out. I dunno why it doesn't happen to me then :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Heck you could also just duct-tape a few coins or washers along the bottom hem.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Eva

Post by Eva »

The bath is metal, yeah, so the magnet thing may be an idea. I can't keep the door open because if I do that people walking down the street can see my naked ass. [Small little teensy house in Amsterdam]

Keep the suggestions coming though, they're great.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

the tub in my dad's old townhome was ceramic, so I'd pull the curtain up a bit from the hem and weigh it down on the tub's wide level edge with a full can of shaving cream or a large cup full of water or something.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Moulsari
Tasty Human

Post by Moulsari »

Personally, I love it when I can take a shower with the bathroom door open... helps in a lot of ways, including not having a completely foggy bathroom in which a towel doesn't do it's job, and a mirror I can actually see in. But I actually think that when I have the door open, my shower curtain doesn't do that thing as much... I'll try to notice it tomorrow morning. But if people can see you naked in the street, there's a solution to that... curtains! :D

I think when the door is closed, and the shower is hot, there is just too much movement in the air because of the heat building up in the tiny little room... so if you don't let it build up too much, it should be fine, hypothetically...
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

If you have a metal tub, go with the magnet thing. Probably the least hassle of any solution.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

shower heats up the air contained within the area enclosed by the shower curtain. warm air rises. the rising air creates suction, or in even more idiotic terms...the rising air creates a vaccuum that is filled by air from the other side of the shower curtain.
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

And the curtain itself as it wraps around your legs.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Take a bath?
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

I like the cloth ones better then the plastic ones. I have found with the plastic ones after about a week they start showing hard water lines and spots and look manky.
www.evieshope.com
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

God, I love the smell of new plastic shower curtains. <teengirlsquad> So Good!
Moulsari
Tasty Human

Post by Moulsari »

Oh my god, that smell makes me sick while I'm in the shower! I actually hang my curtain out for 2 weeks by a window to air it out before I hang it up. *shudder*

Dude, you can so use my new curtains and get rid of that smell for me! :)
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

lushlushlushlush *snort*
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Eva wrote:people walking down the street can see my naked ass
I'm sorry.

Something distracted me ... (_|_)

What were you saying? ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

I can't keep the door open because if I do that people walking down the street can see my naked ass. [Small little teensy house in Amsterdam]
Come on, chances are people will think it's just part of the Amsterdam, uhm, "mentality."
\m/
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Cloth-like shower curtains aren't so bad. You just need to throw them in a washer once every 2-3 weeks, then let them hang dry over night. The one I have is cloth-style with little suction cups on the bottom and one side, helps keep the curtain from getting overly intimate. :)
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

I don't know if it helps particularly, but (assuming this is a bath/shower setup) having a second external shower curtain should help (i.e. one hanging inside the tub and one hanging outside the tub, both off the same rod and rings) as that would prevent air from being able to easily slip in under the internal curtain to pull it up. In my previous apartment with soft curtains (since then they've been the hard types) we had a patterned cloth curtain outside and a clear plastic on inside (with suction cups up along the side so that water couldn't blast out between the curtain and the wall).
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

I've got it! Ducttape! Tape the curtain to the side of the tub!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

If the crew on the Mir space station would have had more ducttape, that thing would still be in orbit, I'm tellin' ya!
Eva

Post by Eva »

Ok, this morning I showered with the door open [found a way to keep street from seeing above-mentioned ass] and with the bottom of the curtain capillaried to the bathtub. And it worked! [kinda] So for Waltar and Moulsari, a free can of..

DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

That's...beautiful...
Eva

Post by Eva »

We need that worshipping smiley.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Moulsari
Tasty Human

Post by Moulsari »

Eva wrote:So for Waltar and Moulsari, a free can of.. [Chocomel]
Oh baby... you know how to make a woman happy! :D

*Moulsari gets on the first available flight to take Eva up on that...

Okay, all set for arrival on August 25th... be prepared! ;)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

K.... I'm not going to read through 38 posts about the shower curtain. I'll just give you my solution.

I've found that this is caused by a temperature difference. Some may disagree, but my solution worked when I had this problem, so :p .

Anyways... get a little space heater. Run it for 5-10 minutes in the bathroom, doors closed, before you take a shower. I recomend setting it on the floor, facing away from the bathtub, though depends on your bathroom configuration. The goal is to warm up the air in the bathroom.

This also solves the problem of "wet skin in a cold bathroom" when you get out of the shower. I /hate/ that.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

I love taking a shower as hot as I can stand it then getting out to that ice cold air. Insta wide awake :D
www.evieshope.com
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

MooCow wrote:Anyways... get a little space heater.
Is that what that fucking was? Feh. I normally just kicked it out the way when I wanted to use the sink.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

yeah, only problem with space heaters comes in the size of your bathroom. It's now fun to step out of a show and put your foot on a miniture electric grill.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Space heaters go against my religious beliefs, so sorry. Good idea though, Moo, thx.
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

I once knew someone who, for their morning shower, had a beer and a cigarette in the shower.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Eva wrote:So for Waltar and Moulsari, a free can of.. [Chocomel]
Holy crap! Chocomel in a can? I'm in the wrong damn country...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Eva

Post by Eva »

It comes in cans, bottles and plastified paper packs. Wherever you go, go Chocomel.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

wow. I'm really in the wrong country.... Pink Cookie *and* Chocomel. Now if only Aus had it...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Yeah, that would be a reason to move, wouldn't it? Not at all that your girlfriend lives there. :D
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Who? (She's going to kill me) :D
</font>