Headbutt /this./

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Headbutt /this./

Post by Salvation122 »

MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I'm gonna say no. The guy who cut off his own arm didn't just lose an arm.... He intentionally cut it off.... by himself.

All this guy did was not read the operators manual on his nailgun and manage not to die.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

This guy's still pretty hardcore, though. Although no one beats the chick who did her own C-section, in my book.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I dunno, 32. If the Bible can be considered at least partly true, the hardcore award of eternity goes to Abraham, who had to circumcise himself.

And even if he didn't, somebody had to.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

My uterus hurts again. That woman so wins the hardcore award for all time.

Abraham spent too damn long in the sun.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Either that's Thorn logged in wrong, or Caz has some things he hasn't been telling us. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Nope, that was Caz. And, you know, him saying that is no different from me saying that really hot car we saw earlier tonight gave me wood. (Though, thank heaven it's only metaphorical wood - I'd hate to have to deliver the twins through any more plumbing that I'm already gonna have to.)
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

This guy's still pretty hardcore, though.
See I disagree. To me Hardcore is a measure of what you're /willing/ to do. I will grant you that this guy is tough as all fuck, but he isn't /hardcore/.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

So...you're saying Bishop isn't hardcore? :cyber
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Afterall, the fucking man crawled away from the wreckage...with everything broken. That's hardcore.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Hmm. See, I think that surviving serious shit is pretty hardcore. However, /choosing/ that serious shit gives you extra hardcore points.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Absolutely.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

:wideeyes Oooh. Ouch!
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Probably actually wouldn't hurt that much. Lots of neurons in there, but not much in the way of pain sensors.

Arm guy wins.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I'm just thinking. What the fuck would I need with a nail gun that fires at full-auto?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

3278 wrote:So...you're saying Bishop isn't hardcore? :cyber
Bish still qualifies under Moo's definition. Maybe not for crashing into the tree, but he chose to crawl out of the truck whilst all fucked up. Hence hardcore.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I almost have to give the surgeon's some mediocre-hardcore-props, too. 120 hours, round-the-clock? I mean, obviously they must've switched on and off and stuff, but I bet you're not expecting that when you go into work at night. ...Which makes me think...y'know, surgeons must actually get quite the laugh sometimes from the dumbass things people do.

"Hey honey. Anything exciting at work tonight?"

"Nothing spectacular. A teenager drank some motor oil, a woman inserted and lost a candle in her vagina and a man shot himself in the head with his nailgun. Maybe tommorrow."

:p
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

How the fuck do you slip and accidentally shoot yourself in the back of the head with a nailgun six times? Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else?
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I guess you could slip and not be smart enough to let the damn pneumatic auto lobotomizer go.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Well it said he fell. So he probably just fell flat turning his head off to the side whilst the nailgun fell the other side facing towards the back of his head and the fall triggered it off. That or he really pissed someone off at work.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Threadbare
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Threadbare »

I wonder if he'll have any sort of wonky Phineas Gage-style personality change as a result from having metal shot through his brain. Though since the nails hit the back of the head, probably not.
_

If I wasn't so busy commanding more than one ship without holding flag rank, I would come down there to New London Towne and show a few people a thing or two about OFFICERship."
--The Commodore

Keep the Funk Alive.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Them nail guns are serious shit, yo. We had a specimen come through a couple years ago - chunk of pectoral muscle, plus skin, with a bit of fabric nailed to it. The thing that got me was there was a name embroidered on the fabric. It was in the first few months I was there and I made some comment because I could not figure out what wackjob was going to nail some girl's hankie to his chest. I mean, dude, just stalk the girl like the rest of the freaks, you know?

One of my coworkers pointed out that it was probably a nail gun accident - her husband works construction so nail gun accidents were like, an actual thing in her life. Needless to say, I felt just a wee bit dumb at that point.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

I'm with Moo on this, that guy ain't hardcore. That is if he didn't shot himself by choice in the back of the skull with the nailgun. Hardcore in this case would be if you know you just have to do something that is going to hurt and yet you do it.

Perhaps we could give this guy the Jr Darwin award instead for not knowing how to handle a nailgun properly.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

So...you're saying Bishop isn't hardcore?
Oh Bishop is Hard Core, just not simply for surviving the accident. He gets the Hard Core award from me for getting punched by Paul and then going "*shrug* eh... it happens".
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

I worked with nailguns for a bit, they where not full auto though, you had to depress the saftey in order for it to work.

Worked with a guy who shot one in his knee though.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

ak404 wrote:I'm just thinking. What the fuck would I need with a nail gun that fires at full-auto?
Damn kids keep running on your lawn?

I said the same thing when I saw that. Just how fast do they need to get these projects built that they need to autofire nails into the walls.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Seems sort of odd to me, too:

"How did you get six nails in the back of your head?"

"I fell over."

Sound to me like:

"How did you get that black eye, mummy?"

"I walked into a door, kids."
Harley667
Bulldrekker

Post by Harley667 »

I'm just thinking. What the fuck would I need with a nail gun that fires at full-auto?
Jehovahs Witnesses? Double-glazing salesmen? Home defence? Wait, those *are* issues of home defence. :)
And we all love napalm...theres one thing we've learned...that we all love napalm...its the way that it burns...
~Apprentice Thread Slayer~
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Puts a whole new spin on "Get off m'damn lawn!" now doesn't it?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

ak404 wrote:I'm just thinking. What the fuck would I need with a nail gun that fires at full-auto?
It's not like a submachine gun; it's automatic, not "full-auto."
Harley667
Bulldrekker

Post by Harley667 »

Aw, crush our macho fantasies why don't you 32. :)

Still...being on the receiving end would be less than pleasant. :)
And we all love napalm...theres one thing we've learned...that we all love napalm...its the way that it burns...
~Apprentice Thread Slayer~
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

3278 wrote:It's not like a submachine gun; it's automatic, not "full-auto."
Still, how do you get six into the back of your head accidentally? Now it sounds even more unlikely than before.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Yeah, there's somthing wrong here, but it's kinda hard to nail down exactly what... :D
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Just Pete
Tasty Human

Post by Just Pete »

I don't know anything about this particular model of nail gun - but all the ones I've ever used have a safety function that prevents them from firing unless they're pushed against something - even the automatic ones.
_<font color=#5c7898>Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.</font>

<font color=red>It's funny how lately it seems, that I'm left alone with just my dreams,
and even though my dreams are few; it's funny how they're all of you!
- The Love of My Life</font>
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

For some reason, after that horrendous pun, a scene from American Psycho is popping into my head... ;)

Yeah. The goofy part is that pretty much all nail guns (especially the pneumatic kind that big-ass nails like the kind in that guy's head) have a safety plunger on the muzzle that has to be pressed in pretty hard before the gun will fire through a pull of the trigger.

Lots of shit would have to go horribly awry for this kind of thing to happen by accident, IMO.

How Nailguns Work
Last edited by Raygun on Fri May 07, 2004 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
DarkMage
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by DarkMage »

*dances up and down* ow ow ow ow ow ow
_
What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies - Aristotle
Drive by Ogling
:plode :plode :plode
</hr>
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Sorry, the only way that's going to happen is if your work "collegues" try to off you. Nailguns shouldn't do that, ever.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Not unless they completely removed all the safties off it, somehow rigged it to be fully automatic, and then threw him on it.

That, or he's got my luck.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

No, no disrespect, your accident is possible withing "normal operating parameters" with any atuomobile. All internal combustion engine vehicles are hideously dangerous. That thing shouldn't be settable to "randomly fire 6 nails into air for no good reason". Either the device failed bigtime, and weirdly failed, or someone else shot him with it.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Take my above previous post as tongue in cheek..it wasn't serious. I do believe somebody deliberately shot him with it.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Sorry, been dealing with completely serious posts all night. Although, the full series of events, including "and then threw him on it" might just work.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Completely understandable, bud. :p
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

How in hell are they realisticly treating this as an accident? The only way that that is going to happen is if a major power group is wanting it that way, so either the government or organised crime.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Or those pesky Zionists again.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Crazy Elf wrote:
3278 wrote:It's not like a submachine gun; it's automatic, not "full-auto."
Still, how do you get six into the back of your head accidentally? Now it sounds even more unlikely than before.
The only plausible answer I got is from a co-worker.

TenPennyHead and the Nailgun Operator were both on the roof, TPH took a stumble, backed into N O who also lost his balance. As they fell, TPH's head knocked against N O's nailgun while N O reflexively held the safety in. A rumble down off of a roof and onto the ground could concievably get enough contacts between TPH and N O to get the gun to trigger that many times.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Lesss likey for Zionists to want to off a construction worker than the others, but maybe.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Damn the zionists, let's nail them to something...

Wait, no, that didn't work out real well the last time we did it.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Jesus wasn't a Zionist by any stretch of the imagination.
ratlaw
Tasty Human

Post by ratlaw »

Nailgunning yourself in the back of the head is possible, albeit not likely. Full-auto nailguns fire a nail whenever the muzzle is impacted against something, no need to hold the trigger or even have the nailgun in your hand. All he had to do was fall onto the nailgun and bounce his head against it 6 times. Those are framing nails, judging by the size, and framing guns have a heck of a kick, so just the impact of the nail would probably pop his head forward enough to trigger the gun again when it came back down. Only question is how the nailgun came to be propped up in such a way that his head could bounce against the muzzle w/o knocking the gun over. Perhaps he had it resting partly in a bucket or something. Anyway, I'm saying not hardcore. Just unlucky and probably stupid :)
--
Ratlaw

By request all posts end in "Bla-DAMN!"
Thunderchild
Bulldrekker

Post by Thunderchild »

ratlaw wrote:Nailgunning yourself in the back of the head is possible, albeit not likely. Full-auto nailguns fire a nail whenever the muzzle is impacted against something, no need to hold the trigger or even have the nailgun in your hand. All he had to do was fall onto the nailgun and bounce his head against it 6 times. Those are framing nails, judging by the size, and framing guns have a heck of a kick, so just the impact of the nail would probably pop his head forward enough to trigger the gun again when it came back down. Only question is how the nailgun came to be propped up in such a way that his head could bounce against the muzzle w/o knocking the gun over. Perhaps he had it resting partly in a bucket or something. Anyway, I'm saying not hardcore. Just unlucky and probably stupid :)
stranger shit has happened.