This is the best CGI I have seen yet!!

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

This is the best CGI I have seen yet!!

Post by laughing Monkey »

Tetra Vaal

I quote from Review:
OK, now we have really reached the point where it is impossible to tell the difference between the computer-generated material and the real footage. Talented people at The Embassy Visual Effects Inc. have created a magnificent piece directed by Neill Blomkamp.

What is so extraordinary about this video is not only their superb 3D rendering, shadows, dirt and the texture, but also a rather unusual context the whole action takes place in. The amateur or semi-pro camera looking footage combined with the casual movements of the robot largely contribute to the 'real' feeling.

After you see it once, replay the video and pay attention to some of the poses that the robot makes. Let us, for example, take a look at the robot holding the machine gun upright in a rather patronising and authoritative manner while patrolling the streets of Johannesburg. Then there is the car ride and casual looking through the window in a slight mixture of relaxation, readiness and anticipation we would expect from say, a NYPD officer ready to go to action in some American movie. Perfect analogy to human behaviour and some good cliche pickups make quite a combination.

I have played this video to quite a few people now. Technologically minded audience instantly tries to determine whether this is real of animated while the general audience (amazingly enough) accepts this footage as a fact! Scarry isn't it.
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
ratlaw
Tasty Human

Post by ratlaw »

Damn. That's amazing CGI. Very cool topic too.
--
Ratlaw

By request all posts end in "Bla-DAMN!"
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Man, there are people who can't tell that it's CGI?
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

In fairness, I'd be shocked if it was "pure" CGI - it certainly looks like some of ths shots (the treadmill, for example) were motion captured. I must admit that it looks a lot more like very god puppetry to me than CGI in most places.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Yeah, if that's pure CGI, then they're making very, very good stuff. Still looks great if it was done with motion capture.
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

I thought it looked pretty good. Maybe a rough around the edges, but I was impressed by it. If I am not mistaken, I believe the robot is the only CGI in this mov.
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>