Question for the Law Enforcement Types - Oi! Piggies!

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Question for the Law Enforcement Types - Oi! Piggies!

Post by FlakJacket »

Coupla questions. I know there's no real 'answer' to this, but how long do people usually serve as a general avergae as beat cops before they'd be considered for a promotion to detective? I figured it's got to be at least four-five years just to get enough experience and get off of probation.

And probably unlikely, but has anyone had any dealings with private/gated communities? What sort of problems/hassles if any could you forsee if and when dealing with them? Started a thread about gated communities over on ds on them and this is a kind of extension on the question.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I'd suggest finding Squire on DSF and asking him. He's been Denver PD fo a number of years.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

From what I understand there are a lot of beat-cops that won't eer be more than that; beat cops. To get a gold shield is a pretty big thing, pretty ambitious for some, and requires recommendations from your superiors as well as a some written exams.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am not a cop, but as I understand it it varies. I think Deevs description applies to larger cities, like Chicago or GrandRapids, that sort.

Small towns like say Greenville or Stanton where the force is considerabbly smaller, everyone might be detectives, or none. In some small towns the guy with the most time in is the Detective. In yet others its a who you know and blow thing. Ah politics!

But I suspect that in places like LA, NY, PA, etc...its probably at least marginally difficult to attain.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Yeah. I figured it was a case of being experienced enough and also being lucky enough to get a spot.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

A lot of it has to do with schooling, as well. I agree with Paul that different sized cities can vary. In Michigan, you have to complete an Associates Degree and complete the Academy and pass the required tests to even be hired on as a full-time Non-Reserve Officer. I don't know about other states, though. An Officer coming into a department with say, a Bachelor's or Masters, will be promoted much faster than one entering at the same level without such. It can also be based on performance as well, as promotions in other lines of work are too. There's many different variables to take into consideration, really. At the Department I used to work for, our Chief resigned. Two of the officers were being considered for the position, but one was given priority due to his Masters Degree since they both had approximately the same time in and both had excellent performance records. He didn't take the job, though, but many of us wish he had. The man knew his shit. This, of course, was a very small P.D. Again, it can vary on size and many other variables.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

In Michigan, you have to complete an Associates Degree
Have an AA/AS or just the equiv. credits in college?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Equivilant is what I meant. I have my Associates from a two-year school, but for instance, the University I am going to now has ties with an Academy where students can enroll at, as long as they're past the 2 year mark. Though, it's actually listed as a 400 level class.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*nods* That's what a lot of cops that I've talked to are doing. A Bachelors is already a requirement in a number of departments that I've looked at (mostly in smaller towns).
</font>
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

It's really a smarter way to go. A lot of em will quit after the two years because they're anxious to get out in the field, but then when people with less seniority, etc. start to fly past them in ranks, pay, etc. - they start to rethink their move. I know a couple guys who I am friends with, but work in other departments who wish they hadn't been so eager to get out on the road so quick. Now they've got a full-time job and families and it's inconvient to go back for that much school.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

One community college and a state college here specialize in helping officers work towards their degrees after the fact. As a result, there's a high number of cops here doing just that.

Flak:: You want the thread back? :D
</font>
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Nah, you might as well keep it. Got what I needed. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing