Bulldrek: The Card Game

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

This will be something to see...
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

You know, as I'm thinking about this, damage to the player a la Magic doesn't make much sense.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I concur.

Post count is something that makes the most sense.

My thoughts that the goal here should be focused on Post Count, and its rate. :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Here's my thoughts...

Basically, someone deals out seven cards to everyone who is participating. If there is no bulldrekker or thread in someone's hand, misdeal is declared.

Play:

A turn is when everyone has a chance to play...starting with one player, and going clockwise. (When the turn is over, the starting player of the turn shifts in clockwise direction.)

The player's turn in the "TURN":

Part 1: Upkeep: Anything that needed regenerating, or whatever...comes back into play
Part 2: Play a card. The card is left on battleground unless stated otherwise. Use actions, etc etc whatever. <--- will be detailed more (need ideas here)

When everyone does that, the turn is over, and all posts made are counted and added to the total post.

Any post numbers... multiply by 10. I'm saying this only because it's damn long way to 10000 posts :) Or rather, just work your way to 1000 posts, then multiply it by 10 :)

Cards
Now for...individual cards:

Bulldrekkers
Bulldrekker comes with the following statistics:
Strength
Defense
Positity

Strength determine how hard you hit them. Defense determines how much pain you can take. Positity determines how fast this bulldrekker can post for you. Can be set as in this form: S/D/P

Special: (could be anything...like visits certain threads, and posts to that a lot. Hates certain thread, and posts doesn't count, etc etc)

Need more help/details on bulldrekkers.

Events:

Anything that happens that affect post count. Any negative events have stronger impact on stronger posters. Any positive events should have stronger impact on weaker posters. That's my opinion. Events that affect subgroups of bulldrekkers, or certain events that doesn't affect subgroups of bulldrekkers.

Threads

Amount of threads determine how many posts a bulldrekker can get per turn. Depends on who controls which bulldrekkers. Also depends on which thread impacts certain bulldrekkers. For example, Battle Bulldrekkers generally prefers adventure/arena threads.

Enchancements
Enchancements increases or decrease the rate of posting, depending on how it is used. Also, it should have certain impact in certain threads. For example, bulldrekker with enchancement that provide battle abilities should be allowed to increase positity significantly in arena threads.

Now for extras:
Formula to determine rate of posts
Rate of posting added up (after calculating individual threads and positity). Multiply by 10.

That's my ideas on how mechanics could be...feedbacks appreciated.

Only my concern with this, it may become calculationcraft. That's all.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Well, let me restate the mechanics as described, and see if I understand them.

All cards have a statistic called Post Rate. Any card may be tapped to add its post rate to the player's total Post Count. In addition, "creature" cards don't actually cause damage to other creatures, but only lower other the blocking creature's Post Rate for the turn - so in the example above, if Caz has a post rate of 7 and Lin, IC, and Sorrow (all blocking) each have a post rate of 3, Caz makes /no/ posts while the net post count from the blocking cards is 2.

If only Sorrow was blocking, Caz would net 4 posts (Caz's 7 - Sorrow's 3) and Sorrow would get none.

Cards never die.

Is that about the sum of it, or have I completely misread something?
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I haven't decided, really.

I'm hoping to go for something concrete, and hope that we can derive something here.

It's not set in stone, and can be easily adjusted to make it easier.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Might I suggest that cards die, but a player never runs out of cards. When they can't draw anymore, all the cards get regenerated and the whole thing starts all over again.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Okay, that works. It gives an incentive to attack and block with hordes of cards instead of just the one strong one.

How do we deal damage out, then? Divide it equally between all blocking cards? Target one card, like in Magic?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Simple, creature cards can target other 'poster' cards. Beat them in post count, and they 'die'. The question is, is there a way to make powerful 'poster' cards more difficult to get out.

The defender can then elect to defend with multiple cards. However, for dealing damage to the cards...I'm unsure of the 'best' way to distribute damage.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'm thinking that defending gets to choose how to dish damage to attacking, and attacking gets to choose how to dish damage to defenders.

I mean, it's to reflect the ability of bulldrekkers to fight...I mean, look at threads...bulldrekkers dish out damage to their targets.

and besides, I'm thinking that if card dies, it is returned to "graveyard"

Then when we run out of cards, we grab graveyard and shuffle them together. That way, we can have more chance of balancing things out.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'm thinking that stronger cards have more...attached conditions, making it more difficult to use. Sure it can be played, but only if a certain card is in play. Or something like that.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Would it be possible for there to be only one statistic, and we'll call it Post Count. Which doubles as both Strength and Defense. That way you don't have to keep track of both. If one card's post count (at the end of the combat) beats the other. Poof, it wins.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

That /seems/ okay to me, since Bulldrekkers tend to be pretty balanced in terms of strength and defense.

So the question then becomes, in the first example I posted above, who dies? Can you split damage any number of ways? Can one man "throw himself on the grenade?"

Personally, I'm for the defending player allocating "damage" done to his cards in whatever way he chooses, with the credible note that all cards that block take damage. So, in the examples above, all three cards are hurt, but either 1 or 2 may survive, depending on how the controlling player allocates damage, and the defending player gets 2 posts and Caz is out of the game. On the other hand, if Sorrow takes one for the team, the player has more cards still in play, but Caz racks up 4 posts. It's an interesting strategic decision.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mechanic Idea

Threads

Threads are required for posters to play. In other words, you need to have a thread before you can bring in a poster. Each thread has a maximum allowable PC, and probably some other restriction as well.

The example I thought of would be, "Word Association" which has a PC limit of 14 or so, but the catch is...both sides can use the thread, as it is used by everyone.

Something like that.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Wait. Are threads sort of a gathering place, and only cards in that thread can only affect others in that thread? Or is it something else, like a universal mana store that can be used to play cards?
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Personally, I think threads determine post rate of each bulldrekkers. Say, if a certain thread doesn't appeal to certain bulldrekker, then post rate is reduced. If the thread appeals to certain bulldrekker, the post rate is increased.

Also, I wonder if...attacking in certain thread increases certain attributes...
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Eli and I talked it over...

p10k is simply too high.

Now...the goal is...

to see who is the fastest to reach p1k.

Fastest one to get to p1k is dubbed NLLer of the round.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Here's why I think threads should not affect post count.

Threads are threads, inanimate objects that are posted upon by the 'posters' they are 'places' to post, and therefore, I feel they are the requirements for bringing posters into play. So they're like land cards in a way.

*Thinks of more examples*

"Brotherly Diatribe Thread*

Two posters of PC 3 or less may be brought into play. If both Eliahad and Flameblade are present, they gain +1 post count.

"The Multiple Personalities thread"

Three posters of PC 5 or less may be brought into play. Duplicate Posters are allowed. <<If that's a mechanic we want to keep. (meaning, Should we have a few Unique Cards?)>>

"The CAZPIT"

Two posters of PC 4 or less may be brought into play. If their PC totals 2, they may be sacrificed to bring Cazmonster directly into play.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I have come to conclusion:

Post rate to be combined...in other words, post rate determines your strength and defense., and how many posts is added to the total post count. It's simple, really.

Threads:

I agree with Eliahad's propositions.

Certain threads gives certain attributes to certain bulldrekkers.

Certain bulldrekkers have certain conditions (events/threads) to increase post count. (Hence, as the game approaches end, post rate should be going much much faster as more threads are open...more at insane rate.)

For example: Threads have certain labels, such as "Story Telling, Partying, and Slug it out and more" and bulldrekkers have certain preferences, and if for certain bulldrekker, all preferences of a thread are MET, then that bulldrekker get +1 post count.

So, strategies may be based on whether conditions are met or not.

Eliahad, if you have anything to add...or destroy, post on :)

POST COUNT + 1 = POST COUNT!
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Also, I'm curious as to what order of play would be...need help here.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

An idea for the different kind of cards.

Bulldrekker - Or Poster, a critter card. (I think they should have one stat, but this is debatable) They also have a type.

Items - Similar to enchantments. These are played on a particular card, and generally stick around for awhile. They have a variety of effects, sone that affect post count, some that do other things.

Schticks - These are one shot, BIG BOOM effects. Either affecting lots of people or just one. They are not, however instantaneous.

Tricks - Comparable to Instants in MtG. These are the little protections, like the Rashidi effect, or instant regenration...or a keg of rolling rock...

Threads - These bring posters into play. Piquing their interest and letting them show off. (As explained above)

I think that's all you need really...
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

In a way, I like your ideas...

Because by way you describe them, you make the game sounds much more simpler. Niceeeeeeee... :)
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

How are decks built? Do we want one deck that everyone draws from? Or each player brings their own, pre-built deck?

There are ups and downs to each. THE DECK!tm for example, allows to play on the spot, but with the added difficulty of maybe having unusable cards, or one player getting all the good cards...

Create Your Own!tm, allows for more forethought in combinations, and garauntees that all the cards can be played. So Deck Building becomes part of the game...

I'm unsure guys!
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Okay, I like both the ideas you guys came up with. I guess the only question I have now is whether threads are universal, or whether players control them. If they're universal, then for the "Brotherly Diatribe" thread, does each player get two cards of PC 3, or is it two cards total?

Finally, with Flame's addition, I'm picturing cards being played on threads, sort of like in the Star Wars CCG. Cards can only effect something in the same thread. Now, can you change threads? What's the dynamic for that?
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

It is much, much, much simpler to design a game where every player draws from one deck, as opposed to a CCG-style game where everyone brings in their own deck. Since this is a party game, I wholly suggest that it be kept as simple as possible, so everyone drawing from a single source of cards would be a good plan in my eyes.

Here's a thought: [bear in mind I've skimmed but not read all the posts so far.]

There are two decks of cards: The Threads, and the Others. Each player is dealt X number of Others. Someone determines who goes first, and the person to his right turns over the first Thread card. The player going first then plays, and they continue around the table to their left.

Insert Other Game Mechanics Here.

The 'turn' ends when nobody is willing to "post" anymore to that thread - thus, some threads can continue for a long, long time as players try to trump each other.

What I think the game really needs is, as I alluded to above, some sort of Trumping mechanic.

For example, Eli, Caz, Flame, and myself are playing. We play around the table once, and on his second turn up Caz whips out the Black Van, which grants a +2 bonus to his Post Count, and he drops another card worth 2 points, for a total of 4 on that round. I don't have anything in my hand or on the table that can match or best a Post Count of 4, so I have to drop out.

Make sense?

Naturally there's a lot of balance issues with this sort of mechanic, but I think it adds to the ones-upmanship that is so common in Bulldrek.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I agree that it should be a One Deck to Play. I like the Thread/Stuff idea a lot, as well. It's the 'additional' mechanics that I'm fuzzy on. :)
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I really like the idea of Event cards and I don't think they should be dropped. They're above the Schtick level, as they're not per-poster types of things, but rather more global, BD-wide types of things. As I've noted before, News, possibly semi-localized climate things (Blizzard - all snow-bound posters get double posts), Server Troubles (Lag - double post counts due to double-post causing lag, but no poster may go higher than X; Nighttime Crash - Overnight posters may not post this turn) and the like would allow for temporary alterations in some game mechanics and would help to vary play. These should, generally, be more powerful than almost individual type of card but they're also global (or semi-global) so they help or hinder everyone, not just you or your opponent. I'd say there should be a limit of 1 event per player per turn (though, perhaps, an event could temporarily increase this value or prevent other events). They should also all have a fixed duration or a method for removal. (Similar to Enchant World cards from MtG; Also to Votes in Vampire: the Masquerade)

And I prefer the "Make Your Own" style, as that makes a little more sense in the context that we're addressing here.

Also, threads should always be free-for-all grounds (see: Hunting Grounds in Rage: the Werewolf - essentially cards laid down in the center, anyone can attack them and, when defeated, they give a bonus to the one who killed it; Location cards in Star Wars - essentially these are places where battles can happen, anyone can be there, however, and they have varying advantages for each side; Missions in Star Trek - essentially locations where things can happen... either side may complete a mission and gain the victory points from doing so).

Might want to consider a Character pile that's kept separate from the other cards for bringing in bulldrekkers. Perhaps something like the Crypt from Vampire: The Masqureade, where you lay out your posters in the order you intend to bring them out. Once their conditions for arrival are met (perhaps they "absorb" posts from the player, decreasing his present total, but giving him more options), they pop out into the game and are available for active use. Alternately, we could use a point system - total of X PC in the game, divided any way you choose, and they all start already out and ready to go. Finally, we could start with one out (again, possibly capped PC) and you use that one to get the others out (either from a side deck or from normal draws ala creatures in M:tG).
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

The convo so far...
<SlackerBlade> Bulldrek the Card game
<SlackerBlade> :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> The Issue that is currently under discussion, is how the hell cards should be distributed in the first place :)
<SlackerBlade> yep.
<OverLord> Glarb
<SlackerBlade> to get updated...
<SlackerBlade> go to mechanics thread.
<Reika> Erm, do what most other games do, each player has their own deck, allow them to draw 5-7 cards, max of say...50 cards.
<SlackerBlade> in WWE
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Should we have "THE DECK!tm" which is then distributed among all the players involved causing the possibility that one person ends up with all the good cards?
<SlackerBlade> well, if one person ends up with all the good cards...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Or do we have "Create Your Own!(R)" (a registered trademark of collectible card games across the US)
<SlackerBlade> he will get screwed in long run.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> How does that figure?
<SlackerBlade> I'd rather to have THE DECK!tm
<SlackerBlade> aka
<SlackerBlade> THE DECK!™
<SlackerBlade> :)\
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> :P
<SlackerBlade> you guys?
<SlackerBlade> Reika and OL?
* Reika points up to her comment about players having their own decks.
<OverLord> Hrm...
<Reika> Of course, you're talking to someone who has a history of playing CCGs.
<SlackerBlade> The reason why I'm saying what I'm saying...is the fact, there is probably zero potential to really make it popularized...
<OverLord> Well, unless some sort of duplication device is in use, it's kinda hard to have doubles of...well...almost anything in BD.
* EliBulldrekTheCardGame likes the idea of the own deck too. But sees the merits of One Singular Deck for a quick evening of play among friends.
<SlackerBlade> I agree with that, Overlord.
<OverLord> Exceptions being stuff like general weaponry and such.
<SlackerBlade> yep...
<SlackerBlade> I mean, only use I can think of is...
<SlackerBlade> The Gathering.
<Reika> Good point
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> On the otherhand, there's a whole slew of titles that could serve as 'posters' if we needed to...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Oh look out! It's a 'Wuffle Initiate!"
<Reika> Have any of you played the game Munchkin?
<SlackerBlade> have heard of it.
<SlackerBlade> I'm thinking that...as a poster gets to a certain point...
<SlackerBlade> say, past 200
<SlackerBlade> Wuffle initate!
<SlackerBlade> post 400...
<SlackerBlade> Orbital Gunner!
<Reika> Is a fun and nifty game, very over the top. Pity none of you have played it, I'd say adapt the rules for BD.
<SlackerBlade> post 600
<SlackerBlade> Imp!
<SlackerBlade> Post 800...
<SlackerBlade> Black Van Mechanic!
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I guess in a way that's what we're doing :)
<SlackerBlade> Post p1k...winner...NLLER
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> er That last comment was directed at Reika :)
<SlackerBlade> I mean...as posters get to a milestone...screaming out title :)
* Reika hrms
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Reika: I'm thinking it should combine the mechanics of Munchkin, with the all out melee combat of MtG...
* Reika tries to wrap her mind around that idea.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Sorry, I'll explain.
<Reika> No, I've played both, I'm just trying to reconcile their systems. :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I'll explain, it's working in my mind :)
<Reika> okay :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> The goal, as laid out already, is to get to 1,000 posts. This is done by playing Bulldrekkers. Who have post counts. On your turn you can 'activate' them to add points to your score. This post count also doubles as theirstrength/defense rating <<more>>
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Bulldrekkers can attack opponent Bulldrekkers on their turn instead of gaining their strength in postcount. It then become a battle of...who has the highest postcount. Effects and such can be played to increase, or reduce,the post counts.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Or have gangs of Bulldrekkers have at it.
<OverLord> Post count as power rating?
<Reika> That wouldn't be very effective, since I have fewer posts than Caz, but have been able to go toe to toe with him.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Cards don't effectively 'die' because when you get to the bottom of your draw pile...you shuffle it and start over.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Reika: Hence the effects and such to raise your score, or the use of cards to reduce his...besides, PC is a completely arbitrary number that has yet to be determined...
<Reika> Good point
<SlackerBlade> Overlord: Yes. PC as power rating
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I'm only suggesting Post Count, because it's been 'a standard of measurement' (not the only one mind you) that's been used in Bulldrek.
* Reika nods
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> That's another reason why it's like a game of Munchkin. Quantity is good :)
<Reika> Yeah :)
<SlackerBlade> saw Caz on BD
<OverLord> Explain.
<SlackerBlade> just fired him a PM
<SlackerBlade> he's reading it now :)
* Cazmonster (TheCave@cloaked.dialsprint.net) has joined #the_library
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Explain what? Munchkin is all about having the highest number :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Hi Caz :)
<SlackerBlade> I'll catch you up, Caz
<Cazmonster> Shway
<Reika> lo
<SlackerBlade> very short chat...almost finished with copy and paste, Caz
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Alright, deck is rather unimportant at this point, I'll push that off into a different part of discussion.
<SlackerBlade> now you're up to date.
<SlackerBlade> ok, now what's the topic?
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Stats on the card: I personally think we really only need the 'stat' of "Post Count" (PC) for Bulldrekkers (as well as a 'type' that is mostly unrelated to combat). I think PC is effective in both adding to your score, andbeing used as a 'strength/defense' attribute.
<SlackerBlade> more I hear, more I'm agreeing with you, Eli
<SlackerBlade> because...in a way, more simpler it is, better it is.
<SlackerBlade> sure, the cards itself are simple...but the way it interact is complex.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> That's how it's like a game of Munchkin. You send a Bulldrekker after another Bulldrekker, it should end up being a simple contest of who has more, at the end. While I see how some 'drekkers are more defensive thanthe others...I don't see how that is necessary in a game like this.
<Cazmonster> Excellent. I like the idea that Post Count is the primary stat.
<SlackerBlade> KISS is the concept here.
<SlackerBlade> Keep it simple and sweet
<Reika> Maybe use "known" drekkers as like...race/class thing. I mean pretty much everyone knows about the Anti-Muppet, or the dragon ceo, etc.
<Reika> And various "Blades" as weapons of course. ;)
<Cazmonster> Not bad.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Oooh! That's it!
<SlackerBlade> Hmm, Eli?
<Reika> This way players can be new posters...but get "Named" 'drekkers as allies or something.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Cards that increase post-counts, are "Titles" Like anyone can receive the 'Anti-Muppet' title, to add a certain amount to one's PC.
<Reika> Yeah
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I like that idea :)
<Reika> :)
<Cazmonster> Very good idea.
<SlackerBlade> hmmm...now that's interesting...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I know, you don't like the idea of giving LDH the title of Anti-Muppet, but I think that's a good idea :)
<SlackerBlade> FlameBlade: The Anti Muppet :)
<SlackerBlade> yeah...generates more random events
<SlackerBlade> and crap.
<SlackerBlade> so...in giving titles...
<Reika> I think that there should be one of the "named" cards.
<SlackerBlade> generates different things to happen...
<SlackerBlade> example, Reika?
<Cazmonster> The game should come out as funny, and those who have never been to Bulldrek should be able to come up with what they want.
* EliBulldrekTheCardGame agrees with Caz.
<SlackerBlade> yeah.
<SlackerBlade> should be funny.
<SlackerBlade> speaking of which...recall my "calling out the title" after passing 200 posts.
<SlackerBlade> a guy has to make up something
<SlackerBlade> there.
<Reika> Keeping with Caz the anti-muppet, there is only one singular Caz..., say that only one person can have a specific Name, unless there's something like cloning vats in play :)
<SlackerBlade> Cazpit, anyone?
<Reika> Something like that. :)
<SlackerBlade> lol
<Cazmonster> Okay, are we saying that each player is a new poster to Bulldrek, in a mad dash to get to p1k?
<Reika> Yep
<SlackerBlade> yeah...and bulldrekkers in the hand is...
<SlackerBlade> "allies"
<Cazmonster> What about simple cards that you could use one of two ways - You could have 'ally/enemy' cards.
<SlackerBlade> I mean, bulldrekkers that the player control are...allies.
<SlackerBlade> helping with post count.
<Cazmonster> You could play Cazmonster out of your hand, along with an ally card and Cazmonster's your buddy.
* EliBulldrekTheCardGame raises his hand.
<Cazmonster> Or, you could sick Flameblade on someone else as an enemy.
* EliBulldrekTheCardGame thinks there should just be 'Bulldrekkers.'
<Reika> hm?
<SlackerBlade> I would rather that player just plain control bulldrekker...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Bulldrekkers are played, and on their turn can either attack other bulldrekkers, or be activated to increase the player's score.
<SlackerBlade> and player work with "bulldrekkers" in a way to increase post count.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Pairs of Bulldrekkers can go off together to attack...maybe you can ask other players to attack with you or defend with you?
<Cazmonster> Well, sure, you start out as just a Bulldrekker (or better a Tasty Human)
<SlackerBlade> Tasty human.
<SlackerBlade> yes...
<SlackerBlade> As tasty human, you're 0/0
<SlackerBlade> I mean...has zero PC
<SlackerBlade> once hit 200 PC...
<SlackerBlade> you become a person with PC of 1
<Reika> Eli - But have to be able to give some incentive to the other players for assistance
<SlackerBlade> 400...PC of 2
<SlackerBlade> 600: PC of 3
<SlackerBlade> 800: PC of 4
<SlackerBlade> 1000: winner :)
<Cazmonster> In Munchkin, you can split or share the values...
* Reika nods to Caz
<SlackerBlade> I agree with Caz there.
<Reika> s'why I'm saying some sort of advantage. :)
<SlackerBlade> in other words...if a player is getting far ahead...
<SlackerBlade> other players can band together
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Okay, it's now definitely a one deck game, I hear what you're saying :)
<SlackerBlade> to CRIPPLE that player.
<SlackerBlade> that kind of thing.
<SlackerBlade> That's why I'm thinking that the game should have 4 or more players :)
<Cazmonster> Well, this could be where the thread cards come back in. Say Verjigorm shows up, and he's going to suck posts out of everybody. The Drekkers have got to band together to stop him.
* Reika nods
<SlackerBlade> thread cards are place where...bulldrekkers hang out
<SlackerBlade> and show off, etc etc
<Reika> Yep
<SlackerBlade> in other words, certain threads attracts certain bulldrekkers.
<Cazmonster> all to soak up more posts or get nifty goodies.
<Cazmonster> Ex - you might only be able to play Nighstky after a Black Van card comes up.
<SlackerBlade> Nightsky or Machin Shin
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> AH!
<SlackerBlade> but I'm more akin to...
<SlackerBlade> certain type of thread
<SlackerBlade> to lure bulldrekkers.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Alright. There's a thread pile, and the niftyness pile!
<SlackerBlade> Yep.
<SlackerBlade> hey...
<SlackerBlade> That give me an idea
<SlackerBlade> Each turn, one thread is played from the thread pile.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Every turn, a thread gets turned over, which allows for drekkers to be played into the game.
<SlackerBlade> yep.
<SlackerBlade> that's nifty.
<Reika> We don't want too many types of cards though.
<Cazmonster> Ooer! Good idea.
<SlackerBlade> Thread already has its own place.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> And in the niftiness pile, are the Drekkers, Items, Tricks, Schticks, and Titles.
<SlackerBlade> yep. That makes perfect sense.
<SlackerBlade> Now this is nifty
<Cazmonster> Would half a dozen card types be okay? Maybe eight?
<SlackerBlade> limit it to 8
<SlackerBlade> try for less.
<SlackerBlade> ya know?
* Reika nods to Blade
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> The Threads are not to be touched by anyone...except an Act of God...or the Server shutting down...only three threads in the whole deck can affect the threads....(maybe)
<SlackerBlade> don't want to make it too complex
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> On your turn you make your hand up to seven full cards...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> <scratch the last bit...>
<SlackerBlade> Remember "Living Post Count" Fisaco?
<SlackerBlade> it's coming back...into this game :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> ((I'm not scratching that bit :) ))
<Cazmonster> Could you also have Events in the Thread deck?
<Reika> Sure
<Cazmonster> Kind of like the New World Order cards of Illuminati?
<SlackerBlade> Caz...that's a great idea.
<SlackerBlade> because sometimes, thread doesn't get up there...because holy crap has happened.
<Cazmonster> So, we've got Threads and Events in one deck.
<SlackerBlade> yeah.
<SlackerBlade> If on FIRST turn...
<SlackerBlade> it's event card...
<SlackerBlade> reshuffle the Thread deck.
<SlackerBlade> repeat.
<SlackerBlade> until you get thread out in the open.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> And in the other Bulldrekkers, Tricks, Schticks, Titles and Items.
<SlackerBlade> yep
<SlackerBlade> now that's nifty
<Cazmonster> We've got Drekkers, Shticks, Modifiers, Items, and Titles.
<Reika> Very much so.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Okay...is the object to get the highest postcount before the last thread is played?
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Or is it to get to 1000?
<Cazmonster> I think the object is to get to 1000.
<Reika> Get to 1000
<SlackerBlade> get to 1000
<Cazmonster> The original no life loser title.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Sure sure :)
<SlackerBlade> if all threads are there...
<SlackerBlade> you gotta play with what's left :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Then all the drekkers can be played :)
<Reika> Because I imagine that it's possible for threads to be affected by different events...
<SlackerBlade> yep. That's right
<SlackerBlade> Everything's fair game at the end game.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Okay, there's a graveyard pile, but when the draw deck is finished, the whole thing gets reshuffled, and drekkers get regenerated.
<SlackerBlade> yep
<SlackerBlade> that's right.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> ((unless they've been flaming IP hammer banned))
<SlackerBlade> flaming IP hammer banned...in other words...removed from the game
<SlackerBlade> lol
<SlackerBlade> rotfl
* SlackerBlade imagines Cazmonster being flaming IP hammer banned :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Okay...How are posts accumulated?
* EliBulldrekTheCardGame has an idea.
<SlackerBlade> add up the post count at end of the turn.
<SlackerBlade> mark them down on total post count.
<Cazmonster> Yeah, at the end of each TURN.
<Cazmonster> Three dice will do the job nicely.
<SlackerBlade> yep
<SlackerBlade> D10
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I think if a Bulldrekker attacked another bulldrekker...he shouldn't necessarily add his posts to the pot...or is that not a good idea?
<SlackerBlade> Posts gets added to the pot anyway
<SlackerBlade> But if bulldrekker dies...
<SlackerBlade> he goes to graveyard
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> It's not a good idea because it increases the incentive for attacking other bulldrekkers.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Er, my idea wasn't a good idea.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I said that badly, starting over.
* Reika wuffles Eli
<Cazmonster> Well, going after another Bulldrekker will get you posts at a cost of theirs.
<SlackerBlade> I'm thinking that any...battles...
<SlackerBlade> leads to posts
<SlackerBlade> actually
<SlackerBlade> lemme word it better
<SlackerBlade> hmmm...
<SlackerBlade> Ok...got it...
<SlackerBlade> There's "arena" thread...
<SlackerBlade> in other words, someone got to fight in that thread, right?
<SlackerBlade> In other words...eventually, bulldrekkers will attack other bulldrekkers.
<SlackerBlade> and that generates posts.
<Cazmonster> Wait, we used to tear each other up in every single thread.
<SlackerBlade> really.
<SlackerBlade> gotcha.
<SlackerBlade> no matter if it's story thread or not?
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> DAMMIT! I had a question, now it's gone...
<SlackerBlade> sorry, Eli
* SlackerBlade wuffles Eli
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Is a turn over when everyone has gone once?
<Cazmonster> It shouldn't matter. You can either play to a thread, or assault somebody.
<SlackerBlade> hey
<SlackerBlade> that can be made a choice
<SlackerBlade> players can make a choice...
<SlackerBlade> to play in a thread
<SlackerBlade> or to..FIGHT in a thread.
<SlackerBlade> in other words...some people can increase PC cooperatively...
<SlackerBlade> or...kill each other so they get advantage on PC.
<Cazmonster> Yeah, everybody will get certain actions every round. Like Draw, Restore, Play, Recuperate.
<Cazmonster> How does this sound for an example...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> I need an example, I'm very confused right now.
<Cazmonster> Flame, you and I are playing, you're about to score some massive posts by having your buddy Cyberfreakin' Antimuppet assault Verjigorm with the Flaming IPBAN Hammer.
<SlackerBlade> yeah...
<Cazmonster> But I don't want you to win the game just yet, so I've got Daki on my side and I decide to club Cazmonster with my Hanbo.
<Cazmonster> Daki just happens to be tough enough to clobber Cazmonster, given his GAMMA IRRADIATION and so Flame is out his win, on this turn.
<Cazmonster> I pick up a few posts, for Daki's assault, but not nearly the scad Flame would have gotten for smoking Verjigorm.
* EliBulldrekTheCardGame is still slightly confused..."Is Verjigorm your card, someone else's, a thread?"
<Reika> Verjigorm is a thread
<Reika> Or an event in a thread
<SlackerBlade> either two :)
<Cazmonster> Yeppers.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> So how do you score posts attacking a thread? Is there a number you have to beat to get points from that thread? In other words, do you have to get higher than the PC of a thread to get points from that thread?
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> But since Daki defended, you subtract the difference between Cyberfreakin' and Daki to determine points for Caz's score?
<Cazmonster> More or less. You'd have to get say a PC of 8 to hit Verj.
<Cazmonster> Not precisely, Daki actually attacked Cazmonster, and had to beat out Cazmonster's defense.
<Cazmonster> I'm picturing a mix of Illuminati, Magic, and Munchkin for Bulldrek.
<SlackerBlade> How does "Draw, Restore, Play, Recuperate" plays into this?
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Well yeah, me too, but I've done it in a different way :)
<SlackerBlade> oh
<SlackerBlade> you're referring to thread or assault somebody.
<Reika> Have fun guys, I'm off to go pass out for the night :)
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Night, Reika
* Reika has quit IRC (Quit: sleeeeeep)
<SlackerBlade> night, Reika
<Cazmonster> Lates Reika
<Cazmonster> Draw, you draw back up to your hand size.
<SlackerBlade> That makes sense.
<Cazmonster> Restore, you spend cards, as you need to, to maintain or restore your goodies.
<SlackerBlade> gotcha.
<Cazmonster> Play, you play what you've got left, to Threads or in Assaults.
<SlackerBlade> Attack is pretty self-explainatory :)
* OverLord is feeling fairly useless.
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> How does everything sound so far?
<SlackerBlade> Overlord...how does it sounds so far?
<SlackerBlade> I thought everything sounded pretty cool so far.
<Cazmonster> Recuperate, you regenerate your drekkers and perhaps increase your post count.
<Cazmonster> And there are times when you'll lose your drekker buddies, because you can't afford them or cant regenerate them.
<SlackerBlade> i'm thinking that...
<SlackerBlade> Bulldrekker are very temperantal beings...
<SlackerBlade> if they die under guidance of "Tasty Human"
<SlackerBlade> They get pissed
<SlackerBlade> and may turn against him in next round.
<SlackerBlade> die/or get massively damaged in manner that it is necessary to take a while to regenerated :)
<SlackerBlade> hence, being tossed into "graveyard" waiting to be regenerated
<Cazmonster> That could be a value attributed to certain drekkers, like Cazmonster, Daki, or Tryyng.
<Cazmonster> Oooh! There should be a Necromancy/Archaeology card!
<SlackerBlade> i think it applies to everyone.
<SlackerBlade> i think it applies to everyone.
<SlackerBlade> Hmmm...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> HOw does one pay for the value?
<SlackerBlade> value...you can't quite pay for that.
<SlackerBlade> That's why I'm going for simplistic elemens.
<SlackerBlade> *elements.
<Cazmonster> With a card from your hand, and not everything will cost a card.
<Cazmonster> Rico could be free, so could JetPlane.
<SlackerBlade> Adam just posted.
<SlackerBlade> and Salvation just posted
<Cazmonster> BRB my biological processes are pissed with me.
<SlackerBlade> go take care of that biological processes
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Yes, don't let it fight back.
<SlackerBlade> Personally, Adam has the similar idea...
* Salvation122 (~NotTellin@cloaked.mem.bellsouth.net) has joined #the_library
<SlackerBlade> But I'd rather to keep all threads open.
<Salvation122> Okay.
<SlackerBlade> Hey Salvation
<Salvation122> Hey
<SlackerBlade> to get you up to speed.
<SlackerBlade> Basically, we just agreed on one thing...
<SlackerBlade> there will be two piles:
<SlackerBlade> Threads and events...
<SlackerBlade> and Pile of Niftyness (with Bulldrekkers, tricks, schthicks, items, and more.)
<OverLord> And don't mind me, I'm here for the ornamental value
* SlackerBlade hangs Overlord on tree
<SlackerBlade> joke.
<Salvation122> Okay, that's somewhat like the Star Wars CCG.
<SlackerBlade> and as for thread...
<SlackerBlade> beginning of each turn...
<EliBulldrekTheCardGame> Yeah, from there on out, though, we have really different ideas.
<SlackerBlade> a card from that pile is turned over.
<Salvation122> Uhm, let me cut & paste the questions I had over in WWE.
<SlackerBlade> I saw that question
<SlackerBlade> From Sal
<SlackerBlade> Okay, I like both the ideas you guys came up with. I guess the only question I have now is whether threads are universal, or whether players control them. If they're universal, then for the "Brotherly Diatribe" thread, does eachplayer get two cards of PC 3, or is it two cards total?
<SlackerBlade> Finally, with Flame's addition, I'm picturing cards being played on threads, sort of like in the Star Wars CCG. Cards can only effect something in the same thread. Now, can you change threads? What's the dynamic for that?
<Salvation122> Okay, so you can get there before I can.
<OverLord> A piece of string.
<Salvation122> :)
<Salvation122> I think the first thing we need to work out is exactly how Threads work.
<SlackerBlade> Yeah...
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Eli’s thoughts and concepts.

One deck needed to play the game. Made up of two sub-decks, “Threads/Events,” and “Niftyness.” Everyone draws from the *same* niftyness deck.
When the draw pile is exhausted, the graveyard is reshuffled, essentially ‘regenerating’ the cards in the pile.

Niftyness consists of Bulldrekkers, Schticks, Tricks, Items and Titles

Bulldrekkers – Are the big guys themselves, they have one stat known as Post Count. This counts as combat strength, defense, and ‘points.’

Schticks – Things like Smite!tm and The List! Some of these kill cards outright, others might cripple cards for the duration of the turn, making it easier to defeat them in combat.

Tricks – The instant stuff, blocks and parries and forthwith.

Items and Titles – Increases to Post Counts, Titles for all uses, Items for specific uses.

Each player has their own round, after all players have had a round, it is the end of a Turn. A thread card is turned over at the beginning of a turn. Each thread card allows certain kinds of Bulldrekkers to come into play, as well as causing other general niftiness.

Combat.

A player may attack another player’s drekkers on their turn. They announce what drekkers are attacking whom. Schticks cannot be played once combat is declared, tricks, however, are fair game. Combat is resolved by highest post count after all tricks and items have been accounted for. Attacker then deals out damage to whatever defenders there are, and the defender does the same to the attackers. This might mean multiple creatures go to the graveyard.

At the end of a turn, all Bulldrekkers that have survived the turn earn points for their ‘owner.’ Points are scored for each player Bulldrekkers do not gain points for the player the turn they come into play.

[See Combat:]A decides to attack B's Caz because he's getting too many posting points with him.
<Eli> He uses his three blah blah blah's to do it. Effectively taking him out. At the end ofthe turn, one blah blah is left, but Caz is gone. So A only gets points for the blah blah. MAybeCaz had work or soemthing and couldn't post inreply.[/see combat]
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

They are excellent, and thus, making it appear to be much more simpler.

I'm glad that we're getting a clearer picture of what is going on right now...
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

After veryone else left...
<FlamingIdiot> post to Bulldrek thread.
<FlamingIdiot> and tell me now :)
<Ang-Semi-NPA> Will do.
<Ang-Semi-NPA> It closes a thread abruptly.
<FlamingIdiot> nice.
<Ang-Semi-NPA> People entering simply can't bear the image, so the thread just ends.
<FlamingIdiot> yep
<FlamingIdiot> lol
<FlamingIdiot> lol
<FlamingIdiot> Now that's other way of closing a thread.
<FlamingIdiot> :)
<FlamingIdiot> except that...
<FlamingIdiot> it's a sthick :)
<FlamingIdiot> Here's an idea...
<Ang-Semi-NPA> It'll be recycled later (as all cards are) but if a poster is dependant on that thread, that poster goes away too.
<FlamingIdiot> yeah
<FlamingIdiot> yeah...
<FlamingIdiot> thread goes to the bottom of thread pile.
<FlamingIdiot> very bottom :)
<FlamingIdiot> that's a great idea
<FlamingIdiot> because it affect stuff strategy-wise
<Ang-Semi-NPA> Did we ever decide if this was supposed to be just the land of BD, the single Forum or the entire Board?
<Ang-Semi-NPA> 3 separate choices there.
<FlamingIdiot> Preferably just focus on BD...
<FlamingIdiot> of course, there can be distractions...
<FlamingIdiot> like "Math Thread"
<FlamingIdiot> "Polygamy Debate"
<Ang-Semi-NPA> Right, but it's a question of whether SST threads are Threads or Events.
<FlamingIdiot> EVENTS :)
<FlamingIdiot> certain bulldrekkers get pissed off
<Ang-Semi-NPA> And do posts in SST count?
<FlamingIdiot> yes, but...at much much much slower rate.
<FlamingIdiot> say, for example, Salvation...
<Ang-Semi-NPA> All that research for a good post. ;)
<FlamingIdiot> PC of 4...
<FlamingIdiot> got attention caught by Polygamy thread
<FlamingIdiot> Goes over there
<FlamingIdiot> reduced to PC 1, unable to participate in any combat, etc etc.
<FlamingIdiot> :)
<FlamingIdiot> in other words, at the end of turn, Salvation counts as PC 1 for counting posts purpose.
<Ang-Semi-NPA> Or moght only gets standard PC for the duration, but is unable to use other threads, Items, Schticks, or participate in combat...
<FlamingIdiot> yep.
<FlamingIdiot> that's right.
<FlamingIdiot> basically that's it.
<FlamingIdiot> Bulldrekkers should have "characteristics" to each of them
<FlamingIdiot> lower PC, less characteristics
<FlamingIdiot> higher PC, more characteristics
<FlamingIdiot> in other words, lower PC, less likely to be affected by events
<FlamingIdiot> higher PC, more likely to be affected by events.
<FlamingIdiot> how does that sound?
<Ang-Semi-NPA> Pretty good. I'm also coming up with some common elements of characteristics... "Place of Posting" "Interests"...
<FlamingIdiot> yeah...
<FlamingIdiot> That's what I have in my mind
<FlamingIdiot> some bulldrekkers prefer story threads
<FlamingIdiot> some bulldrekkers prefer slugging it out
<FlamingIdiot> some bulldrekkers prefer partying
<FlamingIdiot> ya know?
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Further ideas on Threads.

Bulldrekkers may also "attack" Threads. Each thread has certain characteristics (generall similar to those of the types of characters it supports). It can also boost post count for all posters to the thread. Therefore, if everyone has relatively small cards, they might gain more posts by hitting the thread than would be possible by attacking other characters.

Additionally, some cards may gain bonus posts from a given thread, or may be drawn to a thread (forced to use it) but they suffer a penalty. SST Threads are an example of this, but they are actually Events because they have a fixed duration, usually a single turn. Named (and imfamous) SST threads may turn up as full Thread cards (Polygamy Thread comes to mind).

Some Threads will have a specific objective. Once that objective is reached, they will destruct and the player controlling the characters that met the objective gain bonus points. See the BD thread, I'll post some example Threads there.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

And there should be Event cards that effect a thread. For example, "Smiley Bomb" causes no posts to be raised from a single thread because no one can get the thread to load.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

We had been talking about Events and Threads coming up out of the same deck.

The Smilie Bomb would have to come out of the Niftiness Deck. I suppose you could use it to 'pin' a thread and keep another Bulldrekker from posting to it.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Events are...global occurence that causes certain things to happen.

Like...server slowdown, etc etc...or "whoops" causing certain things to happen.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

And it would be a nice card for those players who are lacking in Characters or posting ability and want to limit what others can post.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

There will be a lot of cards just like that, Daki.

SMITE™!
THE LIST!!!
Smiley Bomb
Bad Mental Imagery.

etc etc
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I forgot to make sure the SST mechanic was explicitly defined (it was discussed)... If a poster is in SST, they still gain posts according to PC plus the modifiers of the SST thread, but no other modifiers apply (i.e. Items no longer count, any other normal changes are nullified temporarily). Those posters are also essentially out of play temporarily and may not participate on combat, other threads, use schticks or special abilities or really anything else.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'll make a summary of what we appear to be agreeing on...

to be coming soon...
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Correct me if I'm inaccurate or anything in summarizing. Feedbacks are important.

Here, we have two pile of cards.

Two being Thread/Events and other being Pile of Niftyness.

In the Pile of Thread/Events

Threads: Thread is what attracts bulldrekkers. Thread is what keeps bulldrekkers in the game. Certain threads attracts certain bulldrekkers. (more to come after brainstorming more, as we have general concept, but mechanics needs to be worked out.)

Events: The events are global. It affects different bulldrekkers to varying degrees. Heck, event may affect specific bulldrekkers. Event may not affect specific bulldrekkers. Event may affect the whole game.

Now on to Pile of Niftyness!

This is divided into five components: Bulldrekkers, Schticks, Tricks, Items, and Titles.

Bulldrekkers: They are one who run the show. They give posts. They fight each other! Their strength/defense are determined by their PC. Many things can be piled upon tihs Bulldrek to make him stronger or weaker. Bulldrekkers give life to thread, and thread gives life to Bulldrekkers.

Schticks: I'll quote Eliahad here. "These are one shot, BIG BOOM effects. Either affecting lots of people or just one. They are not, however instantaneous. "

Tricks: Again, I'll quote him. " Comparable to Instants in MtG. These are the little protections, like the Rashidi effect, or instant regenration...or a keg of rolling rock..."

Items: Things that Bulldrekkers carry around to add to destruction and of course, post count. <insert evil laughter>

Titles: Slap it on Bulldrekker to give certain enchancements! Only one title per bulldrekker is allowable. If you wish to bestow new title on a bulldrekker, then old title must be discarded to the graveyard pile.

Now that we have basic mechanics of the each of items in...

Now for Order of Play...Cazmonster suggested this:

One complete turn is when everyone has gone once.

The when a player plays out his turn, it's called "player's round"

In the round, player plays the (insert card that isn't instanteous...like say, schtick or summoning Bulldrekker) that he wishes to be in the out to do his willing

In the turn, the order is this...

Recovery, Attack, Recuperate

Recovery: Everyone recovers from damage from previous turn.

Attack: I'll paraphrase Eli here. A player may attack other drekker. The attacking player must announce who is attacking whom. Once this announcement is made, schticks cannot be played, but tricks are fair game. The combat is resolved by post count. Attacker dish out damage to defender to his choosing, and Defender dish back damage to their choosing. Of course, that may means zillions of Bulldrekkers are gone to "regeneration center"

Recuperate: Anything that lasts for a turn, or its timing is expired is removed, and any crap that needs to be cleaned out from arguing with players, this is a good time to clean that up too. Also, count post count from surviving bulldrekkers.

So...how does this sound?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Everything looks good so far.
Titles: Slap it on Bulldrekker to give certain enchancements! Only one title per bulldrekker is allowable. If you wish to bestow new title on a bulldrekker, then old title must be discarded to the graveyard pile.
I would have the mechanic say that only one enhancement can be played on any character. If a new enhancement is played, the old title is destroyed. I think there should be Titles that have negative effects on characters and those would be advantageous to play on opposing player's characters.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Daki:

Ever heard of title: Tasty Human?

:D
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Another thought. Threads have symbols. Bulldrekkers also have symbols. When enough threads have been played to match the symbols on the Bulldrekker card, that Bulldrekker may also be brought into play.

Say there's three threads, with one having a "Party" symbol, another having a "Debate" symbol, and the third having a "Battle" /and/ "something else" symbol. Then a card that has all four of these can be brought into play...or one that just has a "Party" symbol...or one that has a "debate and party symbol"

In other words, there must be enough threads in play before a drekker can be brought into play.

My reasoning is this will keep postcounts down early on. But once all threads are in play, drekkers will be recycled left and right, meaning postcounts will start to rocket.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

A very good point there Eli! And it will go a long ways to keeping the game balanced in the early stages.

Also, when it comes to breaking down how a turn goes, I think we can add in another step to make it more clear.

I am assuming that when a character or item is used to attack or for whatever the effect may be, that card will be "tapped" (or turned 90 degrees for the non-MtG players out there) to signify that it has been used. Those cards will not untap until the round is over and there is an un-tap phase.

This would help with the dynamics of a few cards, like The Black Van idea I posted:
The Black Van
Card Type: Character

Strength: *
Defense: *

When Black Van comes into play, sacrifice any number of characters. Black Van has strength and defense equal to the added amounts of sacrificed characters (these characters cannot be regenerated)

Black Van comes into play tapped. Sacrifice any character to untap Black Van at the start of your turn.

Flavor Text: "Don't forget to look in the glovebox."

So you have a very strong character/item but there is a high cost to use it and keep using it.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

We just discussed in IRC...

We agreed on the following:

Threads:

Threads have symbols, these symbols determine what drekkers can be brought into play
Threads also have objectives. Meet the objective, gain bonus points from the thread.

Threads can be "attacked" or "used" or whatever we want to call it by drekkers, and will have specific effects on PC.

Events:

Events are of limited duration, and affect everyone. They generally last a turn, but some can last more.

There are two types of events: Mode and Story. Story is an event where...you get post count by winning the event. Mode changes a part of rule in the game for duration.

_

((Question: should events be saved, and then reshuffled once the thread/event pile is exhausted?))

Anguirel answered: Non-Objective Events, yes. Some Events will have Objectives just like Threads (example, Verjigorm Attacks - prevents use of specific threads while out, must be destroyed to resume use of those threads). And be worth posts, possibly, to the victor.

Eli: That's how we can incorporate the 'story' threads. They're events, that can be won :)
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

More from discussion.

Card format:

Bulldrekkers

Symbols, Descriptive Text, picture, Special Effects, PC

Symbol being on top right. (Needs certain thread to get into play)
Descriptive below the picture. (Describes attributes. Anything bold is important)
Picture similar to MtG.
Special effects in Descriptive Text.
PC being bottom right.
Name of Bulldrekker being top right.

More to come. Dinner time.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Schthick:

Just Picture and Effects. they have a base-line effect for a single Drekker powering them. Some may gain bonuses from having multiples help out. Big effects. Played outside of combat only.

Possibly also have Bonus or Penalty effects for use with specific Drekkers or against specific Drekkers.

Tricks:

Instant Effects, usable generally only in combat. No cost to play. Most simply grant a quick PC boost or cause an enemy PC penalty. Never have directly lasting effects (i.e. they might help you kill someone, but theycan't kill someone directly; might give you a temporary PC boost, but never a permanent one).

May have other effects as well - Redirect Attacker to attack something else (must be a valid target of the attack, and not an ally of the one being redirected), Defender gets to choose how damage is split rather thanattacker, negate some special abilities, heal some previous damage (but don't allow you to surpass your standard PCcount), etc...

Title

Titles are one-per-Drekker. If a new one comes in, then the old one is removed. The generally grant some special ability, bonus, penalty or all of the above. May also make a Drekker a target for the effects of events. (Flame note: Title can be added to any bulldrekker of player's choosing whether it be opposing or friendly bulldrekker. Sure, you can put TASTY HUMAN on opposing bulldrekker...MUAHAHAHAHA)

Or bonuses or penalties of weapons. Example: Getting one type of Undead Title might make you +2 PC in combat, -1 PC for non-combat, vulnerable to Holy weapons, allow you to gain the bonus of a "Night of the LivingDead" event, and immune to some forms of damage.

Big Thanks to Anguriel for making all of recapping/summarizing.

Now...as for Combat:

Combat:

A drekker can choose to attack anyone with anyone, and gets to choose how to distribute damage. Defenders can gather up any defenses, and distribute damage back to attacking group of drekkers any way they like.

Counting Post

At the end of turn, all surviving bulldrekkers's PC (plus bonus or minus penalties) are added up toward owner's PC. Any thread victory are added toward owner's PC.

This is not the best summary that I could write, but...this seems to be what people are thinking.

Big thanks to Cazmonster, Daki, Anguriel, Salvation, and Eliahad, and of course, me. I need to be narcasstic at times :D
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Let me know when and what artwork you guys need. I've got some ideas...
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

esxhcellent...
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

The MooCow card....

Do we have some kind of counter system like they have in Magic? MooCow could generate Booze Tokens. Booze tokens can be used to disable other drekkers.

Or MooCow could have double power when a Player also has the OCBP in play.