Bulldrek: The Card Game

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Bulldrek: The Card Game

Post by Eliahad »

Yes, at the rate I'm going it's looking more like Bulldrek: The Gathering as opposed to Bulldrek: Ice Cream Has No Bones. The problem I'm having is making sure it's different than ye olde Magic.

I mean, postcounts take the place of mana pools. Land Cards /become/ posts...posts can be used to play powers, personallities and Threads, and whatnot...AIGHHHHHH. But it would be rather entertaining to have a 99/99 Cazmonster running around...Then having him get Listed by the opponent across the table. Mmmmm, Listings.
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Muahhahahahahahahahahh!!!
If you need/want some help on this I'm in.

I was going to mention why not use the SR CCG's system as a base from which to build. I don't know anything about it but it's just an idea. BD did start out as a discussion about SR that got out of hand after all.

Artifact: The Fireing Line. Deal one heck of a lot of damage to anything you see fit.

moto42@punkass.com
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Using the SR CCG would not be bad. It would be a ton better if I knew any of it.

But for the short run, Go ELIAHAD! I think this could be a great deal of fun.

For now, I'll take a sledge to the card rules that live in my head to see if they are not complete crap.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I know absolutely nothing about the SR rules. So if anyone could help a Codicer out, and Google for me (I'm busy codifying the information flying through my head.) I would give much wufflage :)
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

I could be completely wrong, but I'm certain that Jes have a whole stack of the Shadowrun cards. Have a vague memory of her being involved with a load of fan things for it and an unofficial mailing list. That or I'm hallucinating again.

So either way, go bug Jes. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster goes to get Boris T out of storage to send after Jes.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

creaks open the Binder of Complete Unlimited SRTCG

What would you like to know, o codicer? Format? Rules? Ask and ye shall recieve a hell of a lot more than you probably want :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Well...um, what are the mechanics of the SR game for bringing cards into the game, I guess would be the place to start.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Two 'sets' of cards, objectives and challenges, and everything else (specials, gear, characters, locations). Objectives and challenges follow different rules, for now just deal with the other stuff. In the game, you start with 4¥ and get 4¥ every turn, plus or minus upkeeps, bonus, etc. Each card has a deployment cost, like 2¥ or 4¥ + 1¥ every turn. You can deploy whatever you can afford.
_
"Are you alright?"
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I disagree with markers. Bulldrek should be as simplistic as possible, perhaps a static play mechanic, one card per turn, or something similar.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

I think that we're best off going with Eli's original plan of ripping off Magic. Besides, "lldrek: The Gathering" has a good double meaning to it. :)
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Psykoguy
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Psykoguy »

or we could make it like illuminati, since it is a very powerful game and well, bulldrek IS MASSIVELY overpowered.

Plus, we can have person cards, like Cazmonster, Thorn, Sinsual, and such
------------------------------
Highlander was a documentry, and it was filmed in real time!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Psyko, I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Tell me more about Illumnati.

I agree with Caz's dislike of markers and such. I liked Magic better when all you needed was a knowledge of the rules, and the cards themselves. It just felt better knowing that I was essentially calling upon the cards themselves and not having to remember all those silly counters and what they stood for.

If I do rip off, Bulldrek: The Gathering...would people object to being turned into 'creature' cards based on current post count? The more you have at the time of 'creation' the more powers your personal 'critter' would have :)

(Also, currently going through The List! and The Commandments for a wonderful and nifty things to do to things in the game.)
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Go for it, Eli. Although part of me has silly ideas of doing up SR cards of Bulldrek stuff, just for the silliness factor of making a team of drekkers to go after objectives like The Sandbox and Raid the OCBP. Maybe I'll stick that with the Bulldrek Fluxx deck for next year, though.
_
"Are you alright?"
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Re: Bulldrek: The Card Game

Post by Anguirel »

Eliahad wrote:I mean, postcounts take the place of mana pools. Land Cards /become/ posts...posts can be used to play powers, personallities and Threads, and whatnot...AIGHHHHHH. But it would be rather entertaining to have a 99/99 Cazmonster running around...Then having him get Listed by the opponent across the table. Mmmmm, Listings.
Hmmm... Since they generate posts, the Land cards should be threads. Some threads (mainly Bulldrek ones) can generate a lot of posts rapidly, such as "The Question Thread", "Word Association" or "Boobs". These yield BD posts and their effects must be divided between multiple posters (no single poster can get more than half the posts generated by such a thread). Certain posters or effects can't use BD posts, they only go in for SST posts from those types of threads. Further, you can curse an opponent's thread by introducing a Troll (which converts normal posts into Flame posts which delay actions from any poster who has utilized posts from a given thread in the recent past) or an unnecessary mental image (any poster who has posted in a given thread is dazed for a round as they are forced to cope with certain mental images that just should never be considered). Of course, some posters are immune to these effects.

There, now I've thoroughly complicated the game.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

*beats Anguirel to a bloody pulp with her own post-count*
BD is ussualy simple and brutal, I think we should keep the game that way.
That said, I submit this card idea

3278 kicks the cord.
Untill your next turn, threads can-not generate posts, no new Characters can be placed into play and any damage dealt to a player is reduced to 0. (keep adding effects untill it basicly shuts down the game for a turn or 2)
Oops
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay, the one plan I have currently is to have Thread cards work similarly to areas in Star Wars. On each thread, posts can be played by Bulldrekkers. Posts do certain things to certain targets.

Cover more later, must speak of clickitech now.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

32 as Stasis...oddly appropriate :D
_
"Are you alright?"
Ryan Murphy
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by Ryan Murphy »

If we use cards based on posts, /definitely/ include a 666 EVILPOST and p[x]k cards! :)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

That might not be a terrible goal for the game, be the first to become a no life loser and amass ten thousand posts...

(Granted there should be cards that give you as many as 666 posts at one go, we don't want this to be talisman with cards after all)
Durndal
Tasty Human

Post by Durndal »

*expecting a wooping*
I've just returned from reality. Good idea. That's it just encouragement. Im done.
In the begining the universe was created, this has made many people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move-Douglas Adams(RIP)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay, so how does this sound as a basis to the game. It's more of a 'trick' based game than a 'battle' game like Magic or Star Wars.

On each turn, a player can play any number of threads, add up to one bulldrekker to a thread and then attempt to earn 'posts' with action cards based on the threads and bulldrekkers available...
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

This is looking very interesting... Pardon me while I add some input :)

How does this sound?
1. Drekker cards: Different characters with personalized schticks, etc..
2. Personalized Schticks: special powers for each "Drekker" car, like Corporate Takeover for Overlord.
3. Public Schticks: Essentially "Spells", magic items, etc... "Flaming IP BanHammer"
4. Postcount cards: Either 1 or 2, more 1s than 2s. 2s allow two actions (two SMITE™ tokens?)
5. etc... etc...

I can see it now.
*Alright, I got a Cazmonster!*

*Lucky!, I'll trade you three DV8's and a SeriousPaul for it!*

*Lemme see your Orbital Cow Bombardment Platform, and we'll talk*

I really want to see this get off the ground. :D
Icepick
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Icepick »

Hmmm. Idea(s). You can smite me later.

Each player starts with a single bulldreker, and they have different schedules and abilities. They can post up to a number of times determined on the card. Then they could get mods to their lifes(such as they are), such as nagging SO(-1 Post), High speed internet(+4 posts), Lifetime supply of mountain dew(*2 posts), posting from work without fear of getting fired(+6 posts per turn), burnout(You can only post half the number times normally), A hot date(one dreker skips posting for a turn), computer broke(cannot post for 2 turns), hot topics(+2 posts for each dreker you have), server's down again DAMNIT!!!!!(No one may gain posts from now until your next turn, play before you post), Orbital Cow Bombardment(Kill a dreker), Transfered to Siberia(remove dreker for 3 turns of posting), and You, your children, and your children's children are hereby forever banned from bulldrek, for three weeks(You may no longer play this card in ANY game for three weeks, but you get to keep it, until the three weeks is up, then you give it back).

I just threw that last one in because I thought it would be kind of unique and funny, but if it came true, I doubt people would follow the rules.

DRECKER CARD IDEA.

Dreker name(Ex, Icepick*)

STUPID PICTURE OF DREKER
(Ex, HERE)
Yeah, I'm a DSer first, flame me

# of posts per turn:#(Ex, 1)

Special notes(Ex, If played on a long weekend for military personel, add 1 to Icepick's post count)

END DREKER CARD IDEA

*yeah, I'm an egomaniac, get over it.:D

[/url]
_
"If you stand to reason, you're in the game
The rules are elusive but all pieces are the same
if one goes down, we all go down as well
The balance is precarious as anyone can tell
This world's going to hell"
-Bad Religion, "Kyoto Now"</hr>
Icepick
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Icepick »

Hmmm. Idea(s). You can smite me later.

Each player starts with a single bulldreker, and they have different schedules and abilities. They can post up to a number of times determined on the card. Then they could get mods to their lifes(such as they are), such as nagging SO(-1 Post), High speed internet(+4 posts), Lifetime supply of mountain dew(*2 posts), posting from work without fear of getting fired(+6 posts per turn), burnout(You can only post half the number times normally), A hot date(one dreker skips posting for a turn), computer broke(cannot post for 2 turns), hot topics(+2 posts for each dreker you have), server's down again DAMNIT!!!!!(No one may gain posts from now until your next turn, play before you post), Orbital Cow Bombardment(Kill a dreker), Transfered to Siberia(remove dreker for 3 turns of posting), and You, your children, and your children's children are hereby forever banned from bulldrek, for three weeks(You may no longer play this card in ANY game for three weeks, but you get to keep it, until the three weeks is up, then you give it back).

I just threw that last one in because I thought it would be kind of unique and funny, but if it came true, I doubt people would follow the rules.

DRECKER CARD IDEA.

Dreker name(Ex, Icepick*)

STUPID PICTURE OF DREKER
(Ex, HERE)
Yeah, I'm a DSer first, flame me

# of posts per turn:#(Ex, 1)

Special notes(Ex, If played on a long weekend for military personel, add 1 to Icepick's post count)

END DREKER CARD IDEA

*yeah, I'm an egomaniac, get over it.:D

[/url]
_
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Icepick's Idea

Post by Cazmonster »

It's not bad, however, the play as you have shown it would work very much like Chez Geek. Which is a great game, don't get me wrong. I just would like to avoid getting sued...
Icepick
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Icepick »

Well then, in order to get around it, we have special rules cards too, which are played seperatly from the drekers, mod cards,and krazy kards, kind of like fluxx, but not the same, in order to again avoid lawsuits.
_
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

reviving this because this was brought up recently.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

We need to get together and discuss this. Set up a groundwork and build from there..

Any takers on officially developing this, at least from a 'Play it with the others at GC' point of view?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Well I think you need a couple categories of cards for the game (and I am thinking in terms of MtG):

Bulldrekers - Current characters or players you can use. These could run the gambit from "UNGAMUNGA troll" to "Cazmonster" to high level creatures like "god". Each one would have a specific attack/defense rating, special abilities.

Items - "Hanbo of Smashy Smashy", "Black Van", "Transmogrifier Gun"

The transmogrifier gun can swap one card on your side for a same-type card your opponent has. (EX: Swap a 3278 card for a FlameBlade card)

Events - "SMITE", "Post Pumping Spree", etc.

Enhancements - "Gamma-Radiation" - Play on any character to double their attack and defense rating for X amount of turns. If character is attacked by any source other than an opponent's characters, Gamma-Radiated creature deals it's damage to all your characters and player (you decide how to distribute the damage).

I have a number of ideas on cards and card-types if someone decides on a game mechanic.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster daubs a giant APPROVED on the transmogrifier gun.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

FYI, I've started a thread in Bulldrek for card ideas leaving this thread alone to discuss game mechanics.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Ok...

Need to organize this better.

The goal of the game, from what I'm seeing:

is to reach p10k first.

I'm thinking...more damage, more posts you get, and at the same time, reduce the posts that others get per turn. That kind of thing.

Bulldrekker on open determines how fast posts you get. That kind of thing. I think.

Items: adds random effects to everything. Causes posts to fluctate everywhere. I'm thinking that to count posts, we need to introduce abacus :) (actually, we need only 4 D10 Dices, or 1 D100 and 3 D10 dices to keep track of everything.

Events: Story threads.

Echancements: Anything that can increase damage for one self, and decreases damage for others...

Hmmmmm...
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

As for posting rate...

Use statistics from bulldrekker's profile, round up to nearest ten.

How does that sound?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I think a specific posting rate as an additional stat would be fine, sort of like a multiplier you could apply to a 'Post' card.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Events should be random events, including not-directly-thread-related events (BD crashes, major news story, new controversy, new addictive game)... most of them effect post count and thread generation, but these aren't threads in and of themselves.

How about actual "Threads" cards which can be "attacked" to gain posts automatically, similar to things in the hunting grounds of Rage (Werewolf) games.

Similar to the Star Wars game, there should be active flavor text on characters that allows Events to affect them specifically ("Game Addict", "Religious Nut", "Post From Work", etc...)

Could also introduce "voting" elements, ala Jyhad / Vampire: the Masquerade, along with the ability to either attack an opponent or to simply garner posts from some nebulous post source. Each would have benefits and disadvantages.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Ok, so there are six components:

Bulldrekker

Item

Events from the outside

Threads

Enchancements

Post Count

Are everyone with me so far? Or any disgression?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

My thought is to use the "mana" system from MtG to bring cards into play.

You have "Post" cards. At the start of every turn you can play one "post" card. By tapping them, you can pay for different cards.

As an example, the cost for Characters would be their average posts per day (16 in my case). We can adjust the number accordingly, but you'd have to produce 16 posts to bring a Daki card into play.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'm thinking one trick per turn, that way, everyone have equal chance at it.

More I think about it, more I think we need to really define what is the goal here, and what is the method of reaching that goal. This really need to be worked out so we can get to mechanics.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Another idea thrown around:

The goal of the game is to achieve a certain post count.

Characters and Items in the game would have an inherent ability to produce posts by tapping them. If you tap them for post count, you can do nothing else with that card until your next turn.

However, if you want to use the abilities of those cards, you have to tap them and they do not produce posts.

Also, if you manage to "damage" another player with a character or event, the strength of that character or event is subtracted from the player's total post count.

Follow?
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

convo from IRC.
<Adam> I really don't think that's the best way to design a game. I think the goals and method of play need to be defined. Then you steal from other systems.
<SlackerBlade> I agree with Adam.
<SlackerBlade> we need to define goals
<SlackerBlade> and method of play
<Daki> You could make it so Characters and items produce post counts but you can also use those characters to attack other Characters (they wouldn't produce posts)
<SlackerBlade> yep
<SlackerBlade> that's my thought.
<SlackerBlade> more damage you do, more post count you get.
<SlackerBlade> and possibly slowing down others post count.
<Daki> Well, if the goal is post count. You can have everything in the game have a set amount of posts you get for tapping it. However, those cards can do other things if you tap them and then won't produce posts that turn
<SlackerBlade> yep
<SlackerBlade> right combination of cards...
<SlackerBlade> causes things to happen.
<Daki> And change a card like Gunny to reduce your total post count instead of damaging you
<Anguirel> I think pieces of the Vampire, Rage and Star Trek systems sound like they'd be the most effective for the game you want...
<Daki> And instead of damage from characters, you lose post count.
<SlackerBlade> lose...nah...but rather, slow down.
<SlackerBlade> 10000 posts is a lot.
<SlackerBlade> no way to lose the posts...unless 3278's computer craps out :)
<Daki> Well for a game dynamic, you need a way to integrate the abilities of the Character cards and the damage they can do.
<Daki> So for the purpose of the game, it might be best to be able to reduce the post counts of others.
<SlackerBlade> Hmmm...
<SlackerBlade> Adam: I made your ranting about Post Count a card :)
<Adam> Which one?
<SlackerBlade> Adam's Ranting:
<SlackerBlade> The targeted player's posting rate is reduced to zero for a turn, regardless of events, post count rate, and anything else affecting post count
<Daki> Saw that. Very nice.
<SlackerBlade> Flavor: " I don't believe in post count. Listen to White Jesus."
<SlackerBlade> :)
<Flak> <SlackerBlade> no way to lose the posts...unless 3278's computer craps out :)
<Flak> Have this as the ultimate nuke card? Maybe make it last for a few turns until 32 and Wild recover files? :)
<SlackerBlade> yep
<SlackerBlade> or sometihng like that.
<Flak> Or how about 'Inexplicable Site Slowdown' as a less extreme version?
<Daki> Flame:: I understand that's how it works in the real BD. But for a game you need something that can work against you more.
<SlackerBlade> against you more...
<SlackerBlade> as in reduced rate of posting.
<Daki> As in destroying the work you have done.
<SlackerBlade> you can increase rate of posting...with certain cards...
<SlackerBlade> and reduce rate of posting with certain cards...
<SlackerBlade> in other words, if you destroy certain cards...
<SlackerBlade> you reduce effects of posting from that card.
<Daki> Yes, but that is going to get ugly with the combat dynamic. "I attack with my Daki." "I don't block."
<Daki> See what I mean?
<Daki> You need to give them a reason to block the attacks of the characters.
<SlackerBlade> Attack, as in you attack specific thing
<SlackerBlade> in bulldrek, you can attack anything, right?
<SlackerBlade> "I attack Cazmonster with my Daki"
<SlackerBlade> for example.
<Daki> Yes, but that unbalances the game. The first one to get a strong card can kill all the other weaker cards.
<Daki> You can't declare which cards attack and then tell the defender what cards will block.
<SlackerBlade> Then we have to invent various of stuff.
<SlackerBlade> hmmm...
<SlackerBlade> just let me think.
<Daki> You have one minute.
<Anguirel> If you don't block, the opponent gains double posts.
<Anguirel> That's the equivalent of doing damage...
<Anguirel> You gain more rather than them losing some...
<SlackerBlade> Ok..
<Daki> Ang:: Would that work though? If you use a character to attack, you don't get the posts from that character.
<SlackerBlade> list all strong cards?
<Anguirel> Now you do.
<SlackerBlade> I'm imaging that each fight...
<SlackerBlade> would inflate post count.
<SlackerBlade> remember your DakiHulk vs Caz?
<SlackerBlade> That lasted what, 50 posts?
<Anguirel> It also extends it to a multi-player setting.
<Anguirel> Everyone needs to defend everyone else, or risk losing out to someone gaining extra posts... or everyone gangs up on one person to gain a pile of posts.
<Anguirel> Sounds rather BD-like,
<SlackerBlade> yeah
<SlackerBlade> I agree with Anguriel here.
<Daki> I'm having a little trouble picturing it.
<SlackerBlade> say, one powerful card comes in...
<SlackerBlade> 5 weak cards defend.
<SlackerBlade> defender gets more posts...
<Daki> Ah!
<SlackerBlade> than attacker as a result
<SlackerBlade> because of more "potential" to post.
<Daki> But the attacker can kill the defenders and vice versa, correct?
<SlackerBlade> yep.
<Daki> Okay, that makes sense.
<SlackerBlade> causing need to regenerate
<SlackerBlade> for what, few turns.
<Daki> I hope someone is C&Ping this conversation.
<SlackerBlade> copying and pasting?
<SlackerBlade> ok
<SlackerBlade> I'll do it.
<Daki> Regening requires you to tap the card and cannot untap until your next turn.
<SlackerBlade> yep.
<Daki> FYI, "tap" = turning the card 90 degrees to show it has been used and cannot be used again unitl the start of your next turn
More may to come...
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

That's a good idea. I think instead of having power levels on individual cards, they'd have multiplier effects.

Okay... Verjigorm just got played, and now folks have got a chance to rack up some posts against him, before he rips their heads off and swallows their brains.

Cazmonster - Strength 7 (which would be high enough to hurt old hundred eyes) whips out a hefty SMITE!™ and racks up 21 posts.

He could have done this to another player and either blown a hole in their post count or done them some other effect.

A SMITE™! would be an attack-3 card.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

My experience with CCGs is limited to MtG and some Star Wars and L5R. If you have ideas from other gaming systems, examples of how the mechanics work would really help me.

Thx.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

okay, tough questions ahead...

use artwork for the cards or use avatars? what about the back of the cards? what would the symbol of this game be? color of the cards? text font?? borders??? italic or bold?!?!!?
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

No need to worry about that until we get game mechanics up. We can't quite do that until everything is...set.

Not much is set yet, but there's progress here.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I was actually thinking about that earlier Gunny. And I think using the avatars of some people might infringe on copyrights (I know mine would) so those would have to be custom drawings.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Yeppers, art is going to be tricksey, but I'm certain that there are folks out there who'd love to do card art.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

W00t!

There are so many people to do art for. The avatars just won't do in many cases, no matter how close they are.